These savoury, fluffy Healthy Greek Yogurt Pancakes with Avocado & Chia make a satisfying, delicious breakfast/brunch idea. Enjoy pancakes a little differently!
The pancake ‘season’ continues and today on the blog a seriously savoury breakfast pancake recipe idea. Healthy Greek Yogurt Pancakes with Avocado & Chia. All the ingredients in this pancake recipe are quite typical breakfast ingredients, though not necessarily always used together. But I think they create a great combination of flavours – salty, sweet, fruity and spicy (if you choose to be generous with the cayenne pepper).
How to make fluffy pancakes
A few words about the texture of these savoury yogurt pancakes. I was determined to make them as fluffy as possible (in case the addition of the chia was going to affect that). So first I sifted together the dry ingredients before adding them to the batter. I also made sure I stopped stirring when the pancake mixture was still a little lumpy, only removing the larger lumps. (The temptation to make it silky smooth can be hard to resist). I actually made another small batch of these pancakes using a very smooth batter (to test the theory that ‘not overstirring is better’). This produced pretty flat, not very fluffy pancakes. Which in turn confirms that it’s best not to overstir the pancake batter!
Creamy avocado sauce
I used Greek yogurt in both the pancake recipe and the avocado sauce. My instinct tells me the yogurt is partly responsible for the light and fluffy texture of these healthy pancakes. In addition to the yogurt I used coconut milk in the avocado sauce to add some sweetness to it. But you can also give the sauce a bit of bite – adjust the amount of spice according to your individual taste.
Veggies for Breakfast
To get more healthy breakfast recipes using vegetables see my post on How To Eat More Vegetables For Breakfast.
Serve these easy healthy Greek yogurt pancakes with crispy bacon, a generous helping of the avocado sauce and pomegranate seeds. Enjoy!
More pancake recipe ideas
Healthy Greek Yogurt Pancakes with Avocado & Chia
- For the pancakes:
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons thick yogurt or quark
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 heaped tablespoon chia seeds
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 teaspoon baking soda
- Good pinch of salt
- For the avocado sauce:
- 1 large avocado
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons thick yogurt or quark
- Salt cayenne pepper and onion powder to taste
- Olive oil for frying
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and soda. Set aside.
- Whisk the egg with the yogurt until the mixture is silky smooth. Add the milk, chia and a pinch of salt, stir well to combine. Add the flour mixture and combine (using a whisk or large spoon) until the flour is no longer visible and the mixture is still a little lumpy - get rid of the larger lumps only and DO NOT overstir.
- To make the avocado sauce peel and chop the avocado (discard the seed) and puree with the other sauce ingredients (including the seasoning - make it as spicy as you like). Set aside.
- Heat up a little oil (1 tablespoon per batch) in a pancake pan and spoon the mixture onto it without overcrowding the pan. Fry the pancakes over a low heat for 1.5 - 2 minutes on each side (turn the pancakes over when bubbles start forming on top, without letting the pancakes brown too much).
- Serve with crispy bacon (I used streaky bacon) and a scatter of pomegranate seeds. Makes 14 pancakes.
Pin Healthy Greek Yogurt Pancakes with Avocado & Chia