These grilled chicken and pineapple wraps with refreshing avocado dip and broccolini are easy to make, nutritious and full of flavour. It’s the perfect everyday healthy recipe idea!
I created these grilled chicken and pineapple wraps for the Healthy Recipe Challenge hosted by Fiesta Friday. The recipe had to include pineapple and one leafy green vegetable. I picked broccolini (tenderstem broccoli) as it cooks very quickly and goes extremely well with both the pineapple and the chicken.
How to prep the chicken
The chicken is briefly marinated in a mildly spicy mixture (very uncomplicated). Simply dice the chicken breast (or cut into long strips), combine with a bit of oil and spices and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Cook the chicken in a hot griddle pan over a medium/high heat for about 2 minutes on each side. Cooking times may very depending on the size of your chicken so ensure it’s cooked through before serving.
How to prep the pineapple
To prepare the pineapple cut off both ends and stand it on one end. Then slice the skin off downwards all the way around. Then simply cut the pineapple widthways into thick slices. Grill the slices in a griddle pan for about 2 minutes on each side.
Remove the tough middle bit from each slice, chop the pineapple into chunks and serve with the rest of the wrap ingredients.
How to cook broccolini
Broccolini has a similar flavour to broccoli, only a little sweeter, with subtle nutty notes. It has long stalks, small florets and leaves, all of which are edible. It’s not as tough as broccoli so does not need to be cooked for very long. Just place the broccolini in a pot, add a little water, salt, cover and bring to the boil. Then simmer gently for only about 2 minutes. To stop the cooking process drain and then place the broccolini in a separate bowl. (You can also dip it briefly in icy water)
Cooked briefly, broccolini will be tender, but with a bit of crunch and retain its beautiful bright green colour.
Sometimes the ends of the stalks can be a little tough – simply cut them off as you would do with asparagus.
How to serve grilled chicken and pineapple wraps
These healthy chicken wraps taste fantastic with a dollop of easy, refreshing avocado dip (recipe below). To make the dip chop or mash the avocado, combine with a bit of oil, yogurt, lemon juice, cilantro and salt and stir thoroughly. Another easy dip you can use is this zesty minty guacamole. These grilled pineapple wraps are also delicious with this easy low fat ranch sauce.
Enjoy these super healthy wraps for lunch or dinner (with some salad or potato/rice if you want a more substantial meal) or simply on their own.
More healthy wrap recipe ideas
You may also like this collection of 13 healthy easy one pot chicken recipes.
Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Wraps with Avocado Dip
- Wraps of your choice enough for 4 people
- 600 g chicken breast skinless, diced
- 2/3 pineapple 4 thick slices
- 150 g broccolini/tenderstem broccoli
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus 1 tablespoon for the avocado mixture
- 2/3 teaspoon each onion granules and cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt plus more for the avocado mixture
- 1 large garlic clove crushed
- 1 large or 2 small avocados
- 3-4 tablespoons cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon thick yogurt
- In a medium bowl combine the oil, onion granules, garlic, cayenne pepper and salt, add the chicken and stir thoroughly. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Fill a medium pot with 2 cm of water, add the broccolini, cover, bring to boil and simmer for 1.5 - 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, drain and set aside (dip in icy water if you like and place the broccolini in a bowl to stop the cooking process).
- Remove the skin and seed from the avocado, chop up the avocado (you can mash it up a bit with a fork if you like), combine with the lemon juice, yogurt, 1 tablespoon of oil, cilantro, salt to taste and stir thoroughly. Set aside.
- Heat up a griddle pan and fry the pineapple slices for 2 minutes on each side over a medium/high heat. Remove from the heat and chop up (discarding the tough middle bit from each slice). Set aside.
- Grill the chicken in a non-stick griddle pan over a medium/high heat for about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and heat up the broccolini in the same pan for 1 minute.
- Place a desired amount of each ingredient in a wrap, top with the avocado mixture, fold and serve.