This nourishing Polish chicken soup (rosol) is a traditional recipe, the perfect healthy comfort food to enjoy on a cold day. It requires few ingredients, no chopping and is super easy to make.
Polish chicken soup (rosol) was an integral part of most Sunday lunches throughout my childhood. These days I tend to cook more vegetable based soups and make chicken soup only occasionally, but whenever I do I am the best mum in the world! What is it about chicken soup that appeals to children so much? (And not just my own!)
Healthy Polish chicken soup recipe
This recipe for chicken noodle soup is a low-fat, simplified version of the soup I ate as a child. I used chicken thighs but without the skin.
This rosol soup is also simple and doesn’t require any chopping or blending, so it’s not labour intensive. Which is not very common for a dish that’s made completely from scratch!
To make Polish rosol first place the chicken in a pot of water, bring to boil, then skim off the white residue. Then simply add the remaining ingredients and simmer gently for about 50 minutes.
Enjoy this old classic on a cold rainy day (we’ve had plenty of those recently!) with cooked vermicelli and plenty of black pepper. Don’t forget to garnish generously with parsley.
I usually don’t add stock cubes to my dishes and this chicken noodle soup from scratch is no exception. The combination of the chicken, vegetables and herbs used in this soup creates a tasty stock, so there is no need to add anything else. I used a bit of turmeric for colour but you don’t have to.
Other Polish soup recipes you might like:
More Chicken Soup Recipes
Here is another simple chicken noodle soup recipe you may also like: healthy chicken noodle soup recipe. It is made with less wheat vermicelli and more veggie noodles. Check out also this curried sweet potato chicken mulligatawny soup with spinach.
Polish Chicken Noodle Soup (Rosol)
- Cooked vermicelli enough for 4-6 people
- 2 chicken legs or 3 thighs, without the skin
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 1 large onion, peeled
- 1 leek
- a small piece of celery root, peeled (approx.40 g)
- A small bunch of fresh parsley, about 15 g, plus more for garnish
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 allspice berries
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, adds colour and intensifies the flavour
- 2/3 tablespoon coarse sea salt, a little less than 1, and plenty of black pepper
- 1.7 litres of water, about 7 cups
- Place the chicken in a large pot and add half the water. Cover and bring to boil. Remove the lid and skim off the white residue that will form on the surface as it cooks. Ensure it only simmers gently.
- Add the remaining water and the rest of the ingredients. Cover and simmer for about 50 minutes (try not to allow the soup to cook too rapidly as the broth may become cloudy).
- Remove from the heat. Serve with cooked vermicelli and garnish with freshly chopped parsley
Pin Polish Chicken Noodle Soup (Rosol)!
Looking for more easy, delicious Polish recipes?
Check out all my Polish recipes including soups, salads and mains!
Keep in touch!
Recipe Link Parties
I am bringing my Polish chicken soup recipe to Tasty Tuesdays.