This Chilli Chocolate Avocado Dessert is the ultimate healthy dessert! Or at least my idea of it:) Avocado has become extremely popular in recent years – we love it in salads, chillies, on toast and in smoothies. Although it’s not the most obvious dessert ingredient avocado has a mildly sweet flavour which works surprisingly well with some very typical dessert ingredients, such as chocolate.
I remember a time when there was milk chocolate and dark chocolate and you could either have them plain or with raisins or nuts. And that was pretty much that. Thank goodness we have come to realise that chocolate could be so much more! Have you ever tried chilli chocolate? It is simply exceptional on its own and paired with avocado, well, it’s a marriage made in heaven!
So can you actually taste the avocado in this Chilli Chocolate Avocado Dessert? Yes and no – it’s there but in a different way, the avocado flavour is much less obvious in this dish than it would be in a savoury recipe, which is what we are used to. It’s different here but it really works!
And it’s such an easy dessert to put together too! There is a bit of grating involved, most of the ingredients get pureed and the whole thing is ready in about 10 minutes!
I used lemon juice and zest in this recipe as they add lovely citrusy notes and also help keep the colour of the avocado bright green. If left to stand for too long this dessert will eventually become less vibrant looking (it’s avocado after all), so only make it up to about 1.5 hours in advance (and remember to keep it in the fridge until you are ready to serve it).
Serving suggestion: with raspberries or other sweet and sour tasting fruit.
The proportions in this recipe will yield approximately 4 small/medium portions of the dessert but it’s easy to double the ingredients if you are hosting a larger party.
Enjoy chocolate a little differently this Easter!
You might also like these Stracciatella Cheesecake Pots
Yields 4 portions
10 minPrep Time
10 minTotal Time
- 2 medium/large avocados
- 50 g chilli chocolate, coarsely grated
- 50 ml coconut milk
- 1.5 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1.5 tablespoon icing sugar
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- Peel the avocados (discard the seeds) and place in a blender. Add the coconut milk, sugar, lemon juice and cream cheese and puree.
- Add the lemon zest and chocolate (reserve some for sprinkling on top) and stir thoroughly. Spoon a desired amount into small bowls/glasses, sprinkle remaining chocolate on top, add fresh raspberries (optional) and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving (you can make this dessert up to 2 hours in advance and keep in the fridge until you are ready to serve it).