These delicious, satisfying healthy chocolate quinoa muffins contain a moderate amount of sugar and fat and can be enjoyed for breakfast, brunch, as a lunchbox idea or snack anytime.
I came up with this recipe for healthy chocolate quinoa muffins to convince a sworn quinoa sceptic friend that there is much more to quinoa than meets the eye. I promised to make quinoa taste like chocolate and here it is.
These muffins have a light texture yet they make a satisfying morning snack thanks to the fairly generous amount of the quinoa, which is full of protein. Low in sugar and fat they make a delicious healthier dessert too!
How to make chocolate quinoa muffins
All muffin recipes are easy to make and this quinoa chocolate muffin recipe is no exception. Combine the dry ingredients and set aside. In another bowl combine the milk, quinoa and vanilla. Beat the eggs, sugar and oil until fluffy, then combine with the quinoa mixture. Lastly pour in the flour mixture and stir until the fry ingredients are no longer visible.
It is important not to overstir the muffin mixture, once you’ve added the dry ingredients, so the muffins come out of the oven nicely rounded.
Cook the quinoa ahead
Unless you are using quinoa as a side dish and want to serve it hot I recommend cooking it ahead. Once cooled, refrigerate it until you need it (keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days, and add to salads, stuffed pepper recipes, baking etc). This will save you lots of time when you are ready to make your healthy chocolate chip muffin recipe.
I used cacao rather than the more popular cocoa in this chocolate muffin recipe as it’s healthier but if you can’t get it or prefer to use cocoa that’s absolutely fine too. (Check out this collection of 27 everyday healthy cacao recipes).
These healthy chocolate muffins are fabulous eaten warm.
If you are a fan of chocolate muffins you might also like beet chocolate muffins with chocolate chips.
More muffin recipes with quinoa
If you like the idea of adding quinoa to your breakfast muffin recipes check out these zesty Quinoa Muffins with Lime and Sultanas. You might also like these nutritious Blueberry Quinoa Muffins with Wheatgerm.
Check out also this collection of 18 healthy, easy vegetable breakfast recipes.
KEEP IN TOUCH
How have your quinoa chocolate muffins turned out for you? Let me know in the comments below, thanks!
Chocolate Quinoa Muffins (Low Sugar)
- 120 g cooked quinoa
- 140 g flour
- 100 g ground almonds/almond flour
- 2 tap baking powder
- 50 g cacao/cocoa
- 100 g sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- 260 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 100 g dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400F / 200C / gas mark 6. Place 12 muffin cases inside a muffin tin.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and cacao (or cocoa). Add the ground almonds and stir using a whisk. Set aside.
- In another bowl combine the milk, vanilla extract and and quinoa and stir to remove any lumps. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs, sugar and oil until fluffy and creamy (about 3 minutes).
- Pour in the quinoa mixture and stir. Add the flour mixture all at once stirring just until there are no dry ingredients visible (add the chocolate chips half way through). The mixture will be quite runny and should be lumpy.
- Pour equal amounts into the muffin cases and bake for 23 minutes. Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes, then remove from the tin and place on a cooling rack. Yields 12 muffins.
RECIPE LINK PARTIES