These simple and easy to make Healthy Sweet Potato Skins with Coconut Fish can be enjoyed as a delicious light meal/snack or party food idea.
Today I am sharing a simple and easy to make recipe which can be enjoyed as a light meal (either on its own or with a salad) or snack – Healthy Sweet Potato Skins with Coconut Fish.
Easy sweet potato skins
The list of ingredients in this recipe is not very extensive so preparation time is really minimal. To be honest, while the sweet potatoes were in the oven (35 minutes) I managed to prepare all the other ingredients (including cooking the fish) and there was still time to write down the ingredients and some of the instructions for this recipe! You don’t need any special skills or equipment, either. Though a melon baller would be handy if you’ve got one.
If you’ve got a melon baller in your drawer and you haven’t used it in a while perhaps because you haven’t bought a melon recently and even if you have you tend to slice it anyway, this is the recipe to finally put your melon baller to good use! It is a very handy little gadget and, unlike a spoon, it’s got sharp edges which makes scooping very easy (I used it recently in another ‘non-melon’ recipe – Spicy Quinoa Stuffed Aubergine (Eggplant)).
Having said that, it is absolutely fine to use a large spoon instead:)
Why is this sweet potato skins recipe healthy
Sweet potatoes themselves are a super nutritious ingredient. Fish is a good source of protein and healthy fats. I also used a good amount of spinach, which is not only nutritious but also adds flavour and colour. This sweet potato recipe contains a moderate amount of fat. I used olive oil for brushing the potato skins before roasting and drizzling over at the end. The filling contains some coconut milk (only 6 tablespoons) which tastes super delicious with the zesty lime juice. Come to think of it this recipe contains ONLY healthy ingredients!
What fish is best to use in this recipe
You can use either fresh or frozen fish in this recipe. Either cod or haddock are good options. If, like me, you prefer to use frozen fish it’s best to defrost it in the fridge overnight. It is important to remove all excess water after cooking the fish. Also combine the fish with the spinach while still hot.
If you are a sweet potato fan take a look at my Baked Sweet Potato with Spinach and Feta I made some time ago.
Healthy Sweet Potato Skins with Coconut Fish
- 460 g fish fillet cod/haddock, fresh or frozen, skinless, bones removed
- 5 small sweet potatoes
- 60 g spinach 2 handfuls, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- Zest of 1 lime
- Sea salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- Olive oil for brushing and drizzling
- Desiccated coconut for sprinkling on top approx. 2 tablespoons
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. You will need a large baking tray.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthways, place on the baking sheet skin side down and brush the open side with the oil. Bake for 35-40 minutes (they need to be tender).
- While the potatoes are in the oven cook the fish in a bit of water (do not overcook it). Strain thoroughly and combine with the spinach (while still hot).
- Add the coconut milk, lime juice and zest and seasoning. Stir and set aside.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven, leave until cool enough to handle, then scoop out the middle (using a melon baller or large spoon) leaving a few millimeters around the skin (at this point switch the oven back on, gas mark 7) and add to the fish mixture. Stir well, taste to check if more seasoning is needed and spoon the mixture into the potato skins. Sprinkle with the desiccated coconut, drizzle with a little oil and bake for 8 minutes (alternatively, pop under a grill for 4-5 minutes). Serve immediately.
Pin Healthy Sweet Potato Skins with Coconut Fish
Keep in touch!
Recipe link parties
I am bringing this Healthy Sweet Potato Skins with Fish recipe to #CookBlogShare, hosted this week by Kirsty@Hijacked By Twins. If you’ve got a recipe share it! The 4 hosts behind #CookBlogShare (I am one of them) will make sure it’s seen by as many people as possible:) Plus you can get featured next week!