This Low Sugar Cranberry Beetroot Chutney Recipe is an ideal accompaniment to turkey or ham, also delicious with cheese and crackers as well as Christmas/Thanksgiving dinner leftovers.
To me Christmas is partly about tradition and partly about creating new dishes using popular Christmas ingredients. Christmas flavours are so versatile, both in sweet and savoury dishes. There are virtually endless ways of mixing and matching and incorporating them into all sorts of recipes.
Such as this easy, tasty Low Sugar Cranberry Beetroot Chutney Recipe which was inspired by my love of cranberries as well as beetroot. I do love the classic cranberry sauce and make it every Christmas (my version also comes with a twist!). But this recipe has a depth and complexity of flavour an ordinary cranberry sauce can never produce.
I credit the beetroot! Mainly. This marvellous vegetable has a sweet, earthy flavour which pairs extremely well with sour cranberries. I didn’t want the beetroot to disintegrate during cooking so I chopped it finely into little cubes (rather than grating it), which still retain some crunch after 30 minutes of cooking, so the chutney has a lovely semi-crunchy consistency. And look at the colour! You can’t not love beetroot:)
How to make cranberry beetroot chutney
This beetroot chutney is quick and easy to make. Start by frying onion and ginger, then gradually add the other ingredients (see Instructions). Then pop the lid on and bring to boil. Lower the temperature and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the sauce from sticking to the pan. Once the chutney has cooled place it in a jar and refrigerate. You can keep it in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.
Low sugar cranberry chutney recipe
Very often sauces, chutneys and other condiments come with a lot of ‘hidden’ sugars. We don’t think of their sugar content in the same way we do with desserts. So it’s easy to overlook the fact they aren’t necessarily very healthy. This chutney recipe does contain sugar (it’s impossible to avoid using it with super sour cranberries!), but much less than ready made ones.
This sharp, tangy and delicious Low Sugar Cranberry Beetroot Chutney makes an idea Christmas edible gift!
More beetroot recipes perfect for entertaining
If you are really into beetroot you may like this Easy Beetroot Hummus without Tahini. It’s a healthy, gluten free dip that’s perfect for sharing. These Beetroot Lemon Devilled Eggs make a fantastic appetizer, whatever the occasion. You might also like these Polish Krokiety (Crepes) with Beets and Cabbage.
Low Sugar Cranberry Beetroot Chutney Recipe
- 230 g fresh cranberries
- 1 large beetroot peeled, finely diced
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger finely chopped
- 80 g sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons white malt or wine vinegar
- 5 tablespoons orange juice
- 30 ml marsala wine
- 1/6 teaspoon each ground cloves and allspice
- Zest of half an orange
- A good pinch of salt and pepper
- In a medium saucepan heat up the oil, add the onion and ginger and cook slowly for 2-3 minutes, stirring often. Add the beetroot, marsala wine, sugar, vinegar, orange juice, stir and continue cooking for 3 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cranberries, orange zest, spice and seasoning, stir, pop the lid on, bring to boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes stirring occasionally (take care not to allow the sauce to stick to the bottom of the pan and burn). Adjust the seasoning if necessary, allow to cool and transfer into a jar. It can be kept in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.
Pin Low Sugar Cranberry Beetroot Chutney Recipe!
KEEP IN TOUCH
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing my Low Sugar Cranberry Beetroot Chutney Recipe to #CookBlogShare, hosted this week by Kirsty@Hijacked By Twins. Also sharing with Recipe of the Week, Cook Once Eat Twice and Fiesta Friday, co-hosted this week by Judi @ cookingwithauntjuju.com and Laurena @ Life Diet Health.