Enjoy these low sugar Healthy Chocolate Chip Cranberry Muffins for breakfast or as a healthy snack anytime. Try them with easy matcha cheese spread.
Today I am posting an easy muffin recipe with a festive touch. These simple Healthy Chocolate Chip Cranberry Muffins make a fantastic breakfast idea for the holiday season. They are super quick and easy to make and are a great way of using up extra cranberries left over from making cranberry sauce and Christmas stuffing.
Healthy chocolate chip muffins
This easy muffin recipe contains only 3 tablespoons of added sugar! Most of the sweetness comes from the dried (sweetened) cranberries as well as the chocolate chips. The addition of the ground almonds also adds a bit of (natural) sweetness, as well as a bit of subtle nutty flavour.
Why is this a perfect holiday season muffin recipe
There are a couple of reasons for this. There are the cranberries, of course, but there is also some mixed spice in the recipe. Mixed spice is very similar to pumpkin spice, so you can use either. The combination of tangy cranberries, dark chocolate chips and aromatic spice really smells like Christmas!
How to make fluffy muffins
I often use a combination of flour and ground almond in my muffin recipes. These muffins are a little fluffier and lighter than ones using only flour. I’ve used this combination in my Easy Lemon Marzipan Muffins, as well as these zesty Quinoa Muffins with Lime and Sultanas. Both times with great results!
Matcha cheese spread
I am not in the habit of making icing or spread for my muffins (unlike cupcakes, muffins are perfect on their own) but this time I made an exception. I thought this special time of year calls for a special recipe so I’ve made sweet tasting matcha cheese spread to go with my muffins.
What is matcha
Matcha is a powdered form of specially grown green tea. According to the information on the package, matcha has many health benefits. It is full of antioxidants and is also a detox agent (this bit sounds a little dubious to me, but is likely to mean something beneficial). Apparently matcha contains 137 times more antioxidants than green tea and 32 times more Vitamin C than green tea (I am just reading the information on the package). So if green tea is a super food then matcha must belong to the category of super super foods! Definitely good for us!
If you have never used matcha I suggest gradually adding small amounts to the spread to see if you like it. It has a very strong green tea flavour plus something else, quite peculiar but hard to describe, so you just have to try it for yourself.
More chocolate chip and chocolate muffins recipes
If you love healthy chocolate chip muffins recipes you might enjoy these low sugar peanut butter chocolate chip banana muffins. I also used chocolate chips in these gluten free blood orange buckwheat muffins. Fans of chocolate muffins might like this healthy Chocolate Quinoa Muffins recipe.
Healthy Chocolate Chip Cranberry Muffins
- 1 and 1/3 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 100 g dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons mixed spice, or pumpkin spice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 2/3 - 1 cup milk
For the matcha spread
- 100 g each ricotta and low fat mascarpone
- 2/3 tablespoon matcha powder, a little less than 1
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper muffin cases.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and mixed spice, stir thoroughly and set aside.
- Whisk together the egg, oil and sugar. Add the milk, cranberries and stir well to combine. Add the flour mixture and stir only until the dry ingredients are no longer visible (half way through add the chocolate chips).
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and bake 23-25 minutes. Yields 12 large muffins.
- Combine the spread ingredients, stir well using a large spoon. Any leftovers can be kept in the fridge (covered) for a couple of days.
Pin Healthy Chocolate Chip Cranberry Muffins!
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPE IDEAS
Here you will find more easy, healthy and delicious breakfast recipes all in one place. There are ‘sweet’ recipes, savory ones, muffins, frittatas and more.
KEEP IN TOUCH
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing these Healthy Chocolate Chip Cranberry Muffins to #CookBlogShare, hosted this week by Easy Peasy Foodie.