Enjoy these low sugar healthy chocolate chip cranberry muffins for breakfast or as a healthy snack anytime. Try them with my easy matcha cheese spread (recipe below).
Today I am posting an easy muffin recipe with a festive touch. These simple healthy chocolate chip cranberry muffins make a fantastic breakfast idea for the holiday season. They are super quick and easy to make and are a great way of using up extra cranberries left over from making cranberry sauce and Christmas stuffing.
How much sugar did I used in chocolate chip cranberry muffins recipe
This easy muffin recipe contains only 3 tablespoons of added sugar! Most of the sweetness comes from the dried (sweetened) cranberries as well as the chocolate chips. The addition of the ground almonds (almond flour) also adds a bit of (natural) sweetness, as well as a bit of subtle nutty flavour.
How to make chocolate chip muffins with cranberries
You will need 2 bowls, whisk, large spoon and a 12-hole muffin pan.
In one bowl combine all the dry ingredients and stir using a whisk.
In another whisk together the egg, sugar and oil until smooth. Then add the milk and cranberries and stir well. Lastly, pour in the dry mixture together with the chocolate chips and stir just to combine. Spoon the mixture into your muffin pan and bake for 23 minutes.
It’s that simple.
What consistency do these cranberry muffins have
They are light and fluffy thanks to the addition of the ground almonds. I find a combination of wheat flour and ground almonds creates great results, especially when it comes to muffins.
Matcha cheese spread
I am not in the habit of making icing or spread for my muffins (unlike cupcakes, muffins are perfect on their own) but this time I made an exception. I thought this special time of year calls for a special recipe so I’ve made sweet tasting matcha cheese spread to go with my muffins.
If you have never used matcha I suggest gradually adding small amounts to the spread to see if you like it. It has a very strong green tea flavour plus something else, quite peculiar but hard to describe, so you just have to try it for yourself.
What other spices can I use
I’ve used mixed spice, which is a combination of nutmeg, cloves, ginger and a few others, but you could use pumpkin spice instead. Or swap these for cinnamon, for example. You could also omit these spices altogether and just add a teaspoon of vanilla bean paste (or extract) into the muffin batter.
More chocolate chip muffin recipes
If you love healthy chocolate chip muffins recipes you might enjoy these low sugar peanut butter chocolate chip banana muffins. I also used chocolate chips in these gluten free blood orange buckwheat muffins. Check out also these beetroot chocolate muffins with chocolate chips.
You may also like this collection of 18 healthy, easy vegetable breakfast recipes.
Healthy Chocolate Chip Cranberry Muffins
- 1 and 1/3 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 100 g dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup ground almonds/almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons mixed spice, or pumpkin spice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 cup semi-skimmed milk/low fat
For the matcha spread
- 100 g each ricotta and low fat mascarpone
- 2/3 tablespoon matcha powder, a little less than 1
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper muffin cases.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and mixed spice, stir thoroughly and set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs, oil and sugar. Add the milk, cranberries and stir well to combine. Add the flour mixture and stir only until the dry ingredients are no longer visible (half way through add the chocolate chips).
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and bake 23-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack for 15 minutes.
- To make the matcha spread combine the spread ingredients and stir well using a large spoon. Any leftovers can be kept in the fridge (covered) for a couple of days.
Pin Healthy Chocolate Chip Cranberry Muffins!
KEEP IN TOUCH
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing these healthy chocolate chip cranberry muffins to #CookBlogShare, hosted this week by Easy Peasy Foodie.