This minimalist creamy mushroom potato soup is filling yet light and low in fat despite the hearty appearance. It’s made using mixed mushrooms, including a small amount of porcini for a more intense, richer flavour.
I am really excited to share with you today this simple creamy mushroom potato soup. This all natural, low fat soup is made without any stock cubes and contains only a handful of ingredients. So it’s quick and easy to make. The small amount of potatoes I used add bulk and creamy consistency, without too many calories. The star of this soup are the mushrooms, of course!
Preparing the mushrooms for mushroom potato soup
I used a mixture of closed cup and chestnut mushrooms in this creamy soup recipe, but you can use either one or the other. In order to get the most flavour out of the mushrooms I fried them first for a few minutes in a little oil over a high heat. That way the mushrooms got nicely browned without becoming soggy.
I also used this method in this simple, healthy mushroom pasta sauce. I browned the mushrooms first, then added them into a super quick and easy pasta sauce.
How to prepare porcini mushrooms
I also added a small amount of porcini mushrooms to this vegan mushroom soup recipe for extra flavour. Dried porcini are expensive, but the good news is that you don’t have to use very many to add loads of flavour to your dish. A small handful of these mushrooms (approx. 6 g) was sufficient in this recipe.
(You might also like this healthy chicken and mushroom casserole, which uses a combination of regular and porcini mushrooms).
The porcinis are very easy to prepare. Place the mushrooms in a bowl, add a bit of water and rub gently with your fingers to get rid of any grit. Then rinse the mushrooms and soak in 1/3 cup of clean water for 10 minutes. Use both the porcini as well as the water they soaked in (see Instructions for more).
How to make creamy mushroom and potato soup
This mushroom soup recipe is incredibly easy!
Start by prepping the mushrooms, as explained above. Whist the mushrooms are frying prepare the soup. Heat up the oil, add the onion, celery and bay leaf and cook for a few minutes. Then add all the mushrooms, potatoes, seasoning and water, stir, cover and cook for about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat, discard the bay leaf and puree the soup until smooth. Enjoy!
This soup has quite a thick consistency. If you would like to add a bit more water (I recommend adding a very small amount only) you may have to also adjust the seasoning. It might be a good idea to add a drop of water when you reheat this soup the next day, as it may have thickened.
More creamy vegan soup recipes
Check out also this collection of ALL my creamy vegan soups.
Creamy Mushroom Potato Soup (Dairy Free)
- 550 g mixed mushrooms, chopped into chunks, I used a mixture of regular and chestnut mushrooms
- 6 g dried porcini mushrooms, plus 1/3 cup cold water for soaking
- 2 medium potatoes, approx. 400 g unpeeled weight,
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 celery stalk, roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2/3 tbsp coarse sea salt, a little less than 1
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 3 cups hot water
- Place the porcini in a bowl, add a little water and rub with your fingers to remove any grit. Rinse in cold water, then soak in 1/3 cup clean cold water for 10 minutes.
- In a large frying pan heat up 2 tablespoons of the oil and fry the mushrooms over a high heat, stirring once or twice for about 7 minutes or until lightly browned. Do not overcrowd the pan, work in batches if you have to.
- Peel and cube the potatoes.
- Whilst the mushrooms are frying start making the soup. In a large pot heat up 3 tablespoons of the oil, add the bay leaf, onion and celery and fry over a medium heat for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the mushrooms, including the porcinis (as well as they water they soaked in), potatoes, hot water and seasoning, stir, cover and bring to the boil. Then lower the heat and cook gently, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, discard the bay leaf and puree until smooth. Enjoy on its own or with freshly chopped parsley.
Pin Creamy Mushroom Soup
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing cream of mushroom and potato soup recipe What’s for Dinner? Sunday Link Up. Also sharing with #CookBlogShare and Fiesta Friday, co-hosted this week by Alex @ Turks Who Eat and Zeba @ Food For The Soul.