This easy, nutritious Vegan Roasted Butternut Squash Soup is full of spice, warmth and flavour. Creamy and comforting, it goes down a treat on a cold day.
Butternut squash is a delicious autumnal ingredient that adds colour, goodness and lots of deliciousness to any dish. Today I am sharing a super easy to make Creamy Vegan Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Lentil.
How to roast butternut squash
There are various ways of roasting butternut squash. You could first peel and chop it up, then bake the pieces with a little drizzle of oil. I used this method in my turkey dumplings recipe. Another method is to roast it whole until tender. This will, however, take longer than roasting squash pieces (roasting time will depend on the size of your squash).
For this soup recipe I cut the butternut squash widthways into thick slices, which I then baked until they were tender and lightly browned. It was really easy to peel the slices once they were cooked. I find this method to be quicker than the other 2.
How to make roasted butternut squash soup with lentil
This is a pretty straightforward recipe. Whilst your butternut squash is roasting away you can get on with preparing the soup.
In a large pot heat up the oil, add the bay leaf, onion, garlic and ginger and fry for a couple of minutes. Add in the lentils and continue cooking for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the seasoning, spices, half the water, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Remove from the heat, discard the bay leaf, add the roasted butternut squash and puree until velvety smooth and creamy.
*NOTE: It is important to remove the soup from the heat before adding the butternut squash to it. The squash will have fully cooked in the oven so by cooking it further in the soup some of its rich flavour may be lost.
Enjoy this simple roasted butternut squash soup recipe with toasted pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds. Delicious also with grilled ciabatta bread or healthy homemade croutons.
More roasted butternut squash recipes
Check out also this collection of 12 creamy vegan soups!
Creamy Vegan Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Lentil
- 1 kg butternut squash, cut widthways into thick slices, seeds removed
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 celery stalk, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1.5 tsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2/3 tsp ground coriander
- 1/3 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1.5 tsp coarse sea salt, plus plenty of pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus a little more to drizzle over the squash
- 4.5 cups hot water
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Arrange the squash slices in a single layer on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Season and drizzle with a little oil. Pop in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until the squash starts to brown and is fully cooked. Remove from the oven and peel off the skin. Set aside.
- Whilst the squash is in the oven prepare the soup. In a large pot heat up the oil, add the bay leaf, garlic, ginger, onion and cook for 2 minutes over a medium heat stirring often. Add the lentils and cook for 2 more minutes. Add the seasoning, spices, 2 cups of the water, cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, discard the bay lead, add in the roasted squash, the rest of the water (you may not need to add all of it) and puree until smooth. Adjust seasoning as necessary and serve.
Pin Creamy Vegan Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Lentil!
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing this Creamy Vegan Roasted Butternut Squash Soup to What’s For Dinner? Sunday Linkp. Also sharing with Fiesta Friday, which I have the pleasure of co-hosting this week with Mollie @ Frugal Hausfrau. Check out all the delicious recipes linked up by other bloggers and join the party!