These aromatic, dairy free, creamy prawns with chickpeas and thai basil are a low fat dish that comes together in as little as 10 minutes! This quick and delicious dinner idea can be served with rice, quinoa, couscous or bulgur wheat.
This creamy prawns dinner recipe is made in a skillet using a handful of ingredients. It’s super easy to throw together and takes as little as 15 minutes to make, including preparation time. It’s an ideal healthy weeknight meal!
If you use Thai basil in your cooking then you know what a versatile, fantastic ingredient it is. It’s got a lovely subtle aniseed flavour, ideal to use in Asian style dishes including coconut and seafood.
That’s why it is the perfect herb to accompany this quick and easy Creamy Prawns with Chickpeas recipe!
What prawns to use
This recipe uses cooked, peeled and ready-to-eat prawns rather than fresh, raw ones. The reason is that the ready-to-eat variety is simply easier to find. Plus they only need to be heated through so it’s easier to avoid overcooking them. Overcooked prawns can have a tough, chewy texture. If you use raw prawns you might be tempted to cook them a bit too long.
I know that prawns and shrimp are not exactly the same but they are pretty similar. So if you are wondering whether you could use large shrimp instead of the prawns the answer is – yes!
You might also like this Easy Greek Shrimp Saganaki.
Healthy creamy prawns recipe
I always try to keep the fat content of my dishes as low as I can. So in this recipe I used a moderate amount of full fat coconut milk (I think full fat ingredients taste better than ‘light’ or ‘reduced fat’ alternatives). I also used the liquid from the tinned chickpeas and added a bit of corn flour for a richer, creamier sauce.
So this sauce is creamy AND healthy!
More Thai basil recipes
Creamy Prawns with Chickpeas & Thai basil
- 150 g cooked peeled, ready-to-eat king prawns
- 4-5 tablespoons finely chopped Thai basil leaves only
- 1 green chilli mild or hot, finely chopped
- 180 ml coconut milk
- 1 x400 g tin chickpeas including the liquid
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon corn flour
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Lime juice for drizzling and zest for sprinkling over the dish
- In a skillet heat up the oil, add the garlic, ginger and chilli and cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes stirring often. Add the corn flour and stir quickly to combine.
- Pour in the chickpeas (with the liquid), coconut milk, add the Thai basil, stir and cook over a fairly high heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the prawns and cook for another 30-50 seconds to ensure the prawns are heated through (remember they are already cooked). Season, drizzle with lime juice, sprinkle the lime zest over the dish and enjoy! Serve with quinoa or rice.
Pin Creamy Prawns with Chickpeas and Thai Basil!
Recipe link parties
I am bringing my Creamy Prawns with Chickpeas & Thai Basil to World Food Linky and Recipe of the Week. Also sharing with #CookBlogShare, hosted this week by Easy Peasy Foodie. Tasty Tuesdays, and Fiesta Friday, co-hosted this week by Jhuls @ The Not So Creative Cook.