These easy, delicious Perfectly Crispy Baked Spiced Chicken Legs are crispy on the outside with gorgeous, succulent meat on the inside. This fuss free recipe does not involve marinating or precooking the meat – just coat in the spices, bake and enjoy!
This is the easiest method of baking chicken legs to crispy perfection I know and I am very excited to share it with you today. I made this recipe a few times, each time a little differently in order to compare the results and decide which method worked best – once using spatchcock chicken and once using smaller chicken legs.
Although the chicken tasted delicious each time (I used the same spice mix) the texture wasn’t exactly what I was looking for. The problem with using spatchcock chicken is that white meat cooks quickly and can be chewy if roasted for too long, so it’s best to stick to dark meat only. When I used smaller chicken legs the skin was nice and crispy but the meat was a little dry around the edges.
The crispy baked chicken legs recipe I am sharing below produced the best results. The skin was paper thin and perfectly crispy with no traces of fat in it while the meat inside was succulent and absolutely delicious.
How to make perfectly crispy baked chicken legs
There are a few things to keep in mind in order to achieve the best results with this recipe.
It is important to pat the meat dry before coating in the spices – also try to coat the meat as evenly as possible.
Start basting after 40-50 minutes when there are enough juices in your roasting tin.
There is no need to turn the meat over.
Serve the chicken straight from the oven as it won’t be as crispy after 15 minutes.
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do!
You might also like this easy Moroccan Spiced Chicken Kebabs recipe.
My Moroccan Spice Mix (see Instructions) can be used with other recipes as well. Sprinkle on potato wedges or other vegetables before popping them in the oven, add to fajitas (whether you are using meat or just vegetables), burritos etc.
Perfectly Crispy Baked Spiced Chicken Legs
- 4 large chicken legs approx. 1 kg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Moroccan Spice Mix, all in powder form
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2/3 teaspoon each ginger cayenne pepper, onion, garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika half a teaspoon 1/3 teaspoon each allspice, cinnamon, fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/ 180 C/ gas mark 4.
- Combine all the spices and salt, stir thoroughly and tip the mixture into a large, shallow roasting tin, spreading evenly.
- Cut off any loose skin from the chicken and pat the chicken dry using a paper towel sheet. Coat the chicken in the spices on both sides (do this as evenly as you can using the entire spice mixture).
- Arrange the chicken in the roasting tin skin side up, drizzle with the oil and bake for 1 hour 20 minutes in the middle of the oven. Start basting after about 40-50 minutes (baste every 15 minutes or so). Do not turn the meat over.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Pin Perfectly Crispy Baked Spiced Chicken Legs
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing my Perfectly Crispy Baked Spiced Chicken Legs to #CookBlogShare, hosted this week by Kirsty@Hijacked By Twins. Also sharing with Recipe of the Week, Fiesta Friday, co-hosted this week by Laurena @ Life Diet Health and Alex @ Turks Who Eat.