These quick and easy homemade cornflake chicken nuggets are fried in a little oil to crispy perfection. Made using a handful of ingredients they are fantastic for entertaining as well as a family meal idea.
These cornflake chicken nuggets are crispy on the outside, with tender juicy meat on the inside. They are super easy to make and do not require marinating, freezing or any other time consuming preparation method. Just season, coat in flour, egg and cornflake crumb mixtures and fry!
Can I oven bake these cornflake chicken nuggets
Baking can be a great alternative to frying but it doesn’t work in this recipe. The cornflake mixture does not contain any fat so your chicken would come out of the oven dry instead of crispy. You could perhaps add oil or butter or cheese into the cornflake crumb mixture but it’s much quicker to simply fry the nuggets in a little oil.
How to prepare the cornflake mixture
The easiest and quickest way of turning cornflakes into crumbs is by whizzing them up in a blender for a few seconds.
Alternatively place your cornflakes in a large plastic bag (ziplock or similar) and bash with a rolling pin until crumbly.
The cornflake crumbs should have the texture of very coarse breadcrumbs so be careful not to turn them into powder. I used a small amount of regular breadcrumbs in the mixture as they add a bit of softness to the crispy coating.
Can you taste the cornflakes in this chicken nuggets recipe
Another reason for adding a bit of regular breadcrumbs into the mixture is to tone down the cornflake taste. I didn’t want it to overpower the chicken. And it doesn’t! The crispy coating tastes pretty neutral.
How to make crispy cornflake chicken nuggets
You will need 3 separate mixtures for coating the nuggets: flour, the egg mixture, plus the cornflake/breadcrumb mixture.
Start by cutting the chicken breast into similar size chunks. Season and coat each nugget first in flour, then in egg mixture, and finally in the cornflake mixture. In that order!
Tip: Use large bowls rather than plates for the mixtures – the chicken gets coated quicker and more evenly if you immerse, rather than roll it, in the mixtures.
What seasoning can I use to make cornflake chicken nuggets
I only used sea salt and pepper but you cold sprinkle the chicken with any seasoning you like. Make it spicy by using cayenne pepper or hot paprika (you could use a bit of smoked paprika too). Add some dried herbs if you like. The choice is yours.
How to fry cornflake chicken nuggets
Use approximately 3 tablespoons of oil per batch. Make sure the oil is hot before putting the chicken pieces in the pan. Fry the nuggets on a medium heat for about 2 minutes on each side until golden brown. It is important not to let them brown too quickly as well as not to overcrowd the pan.
Add a bit more oil after you’ve turned them over.
When the nuggets are done place them on top of a plate lined with a paper towel (to get rid of excess oil). After 1 minute discard the towel and enjoy your homemade chicken nuggets!
What to serve with homemade chicken nuggets
More chicken snack ideas
You may also like this collection of 13 easy one pot chicken recipes.
Crispy Healthy Cornflake Chicken Nuggets Recipe
- 500 g chicken breast skinless, boneless
- 2 cups cornflakes
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 medium eggs beaten
- 4-5 tbsp flour
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for frying 3-4 tbsp per batch
- Cut the chicken into similar size chunks, season and set aside.
- To make the cornflake mixture place the cornflakes in a blender and briefly whizz up until they have the consistency of very coarse breadcrumbs. Combine with the regular breadcrumbs and place in a bowl. Put the flour in another bowl.
- Beat the eggs using a fork, season and set aside.
- Dip each nugget in the flour, then egg, then cornflake mixtures – in that order.
- In a large frying pan heat up approx. 3 tablespoons of the oil and fry the nuggets on a medium heat until golden brown for about 2 minutes on each side. Add a little more oil after you’ve turned them over. Do not overcrowd the pan.
- Place the chicken nuggets on top of a large plate lined with a paper towel (to absorb excess fat) for 1 minute. Discard the paper towel and serve the nuggets with your favourite dip and a sprinkle of lemon/lime juice (optional).
Pin Crispy Healthy Cornflake Chicken Nuggets Recipe
Keep in touch
Recipe link parties
I am bringing this healthy chicken nuggets recipe to #CookBlogShare.