This zesty, nutritious pickled brussel sprouts slaw with turkey leftovers makes a delicious lunch perfect in the Holiday season.
The festive season is a time of celebration, feasting and general overindulgence. We tend to eat too much but probably also cook too much. So no matter how delicious the main event was and how many guests were at the table there are bound to be leftovers! Always!
So there is usually enough leftover turkey to enjoy turkey sandwiches and curries in the days following Christmas. But if you fancy something a bit different why not make this easy, zesty pickled brussel sprouts slaw with turkey leftovers. There is a brief pickling process involved but the salad itself takes just minutes to toss together. Plus there will be enough to feed 6 people!
How to pickle brussel sprouts
The inspiration for this brussels sprouts salad was a recipe I made last year – pickled red cabbage slaw with pear and walnuts. Lightly pickling the red cabbage turned out to be a really good idea, as it made the cabbage softer, tastier and helped to preserve its vibrant purple colour. I decided to try the same method with brussels sprouts (using similar proportions) and I am super happy with the results!
Simply shred/grate the brussels sprouts, combine with the vinegar, 3 tablespoons of the oil, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Stir thoroughly, cover and leave in the fridge overnight (or longer).
The pickling mixture will make the sprouts a little softer and sweetish tasting. They’ll be perfect combined with leftover turkey and zesty clementines.
To make the salad simply combine all the ingredients, including the pickled sprouts, season to taste and enjoy.
If you like this recipe you may also like this Christmas slaw with maple glazed pecans.
How to peel the clementines
It is a good idea to slice the skin off using a sharp knife as opposed to peeling it off with your fingers. That way you’ll get rid of the thin skin encasing the clementine segments which can be stringy. Simply cut both ends off the clementine, stand it on one end and slice the skin off downwards all the way around. Then chop it into chunks and toss in the salad.
If you like this recipe you may also like this Brussels Sprouts Bulgur Wheat Tuna Salad.
More turkey leftovers recipes
- Easy Leftover Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- Leftover Turkey Soup with Tomatoes
- Healthy Turkey Salad Sandwich with Chickpeas (No Mayo)
Check out also this collection of over 15 easy vegan salads.
Pickled Brussel Sprouts Slaw with Turkey Leftovers
- 300 g Brussels sprouts shredded or thinly sliced
- 3 tangerines peeled, chopped, plus zest of 1 tangerine
- 200 g leftover Christmas turkey sliced/chopped
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dill or chives finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil I used cold pressed rapeseed
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the sprouts with the vinegar, 3 tablespoons of the oil, sugar and salt, stir thoroughly, cover and leave in the fridge overnight (or longer).
- To make the salad combine the pickled sprouts with the remaining ingredients (including the remaining oil), season to taste and serve.
Pin Pickled Brussel Sprouts Slaw with Turkey Leftovers!
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing this pickled brussel sprouts slaw with clementines to #CookBlogShare, hosted this week by Kirsty@Hijacked By Twins. This week’s special theme is ‘The Best of 2017’. Do check out the featured recipes, and perhaps link up your own recipe too:).