This easy, low carb Marzipan Loaf Cake with Streusel Topping contains marzipan chunks, chocolate chips and grated apple to keep it moist. It tastes so good you’ll want another slice!
This luxurious Marzipan Loaf Cake with Streusel Topping is easy to make and perfect for entertaining during holiday season. It is moist though also light and fluffy – an ideal accompaniment to coffee or tea.
Healthy marzipan cake recipe
This easy loaf cake contains pretty sweet ingredients including chocolate chips, marzipan and sultanas, but is not overly sweet. This is because I did not use very much sugar (only 60 g in the cake itself and 1 tablespoon in the streusel topping). With all the sweet ingredients in it I didn’t have to. So you can enjoy a generous slice without feeling too guilty (if you are prone to having such feelings about dessert!).
The cake is low in saturated fat as I’ve used rapeseed oil instead of butter (there is only 30 g of butter in the streusel topping). I find oil based cakes lighter and fluffier than ones made with butter. I also added nutritious wheatgerm to the streusel mixture, but you can swap that for ground almonds if you prefer.
Another easy bake made using oil is this Polish Gingerbread Loaf Cake (Piernik) Recipe.
How to make easy marzipan loaf cake
This marzipan cake recipe consists of 2 parts. You have to make the cake batter as well as the streusel mixture.
To make the cake first combine the flour and baking powder. In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar and oil, then gradually add the rest of the ingredients (see Instructions).
In a separate bowl combine the streusel ingredients and rub together using your fingertips to make a crumbly mixture.
Lastly, pour the cake batter into your tin, top with the streusel and bake for 1 hour.
See Instructions below for more details.
It is important not to overstir the batter – stir only until the dry ingredients are no longer visible (see the Instructions below). If you stick to the instructions your cake will have a light, slightly crumbly, melt-in-your-mouth texture. It’s also quite moist thanks to the grated apple I’ve used in this streusel cake recipe.
Why does this cake have a yellow tint?
This marzipan streusel cake has a light yellow colour (see the photos) thanks to the rapeseed oil I used (this oil works equally well in salads as it does in cakes). If you use another type of oil you may not see the same yellow effect. You can also achieve this effect by adding 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric into the batter (mix it in with the dry ingredients).
More easy cake recipes
Check out also this collection of 27 everyday healthy cacao recipes.
Marzipan Loaf Cake with Streusel Topping
- 280 g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips plus 2 tablespoons for the streusel topping
- 1/3 cup sultanas
- 120 g marzipan diced
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil I used cold-pressed rapeseed oil
- 60 g sugar plus 1 tablespoon for the streusel topping
- 1 sweet apple
- 3 eggs beaten
- 30 g butter plus a bit more for greasing, cubed (for the streusel topping)
- 2 tablespoon wheatgerm or ground almonds for the streusel topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/ 180 C/ gas mark 4. Lightly grease a medium size loaf tin, line with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl combine the flour and baking powder and stir thoroughly.
- To make the streusel topping transfer 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture into another bowl, combine with the wheatgerm, 1 tablespoon of the sugar, the butter and 2 tablespoons of the chocolate chips, and using your fingertips rub the ingredients to make fine crumbs. Set aside.
- Peel and coarsely grate the apple.
- Whisk the sugar and oil, add half the flour mixture, marzipan, sultanas and chocolate chips, stir a little, then add the eggs, apple and the rest of the flour mixture and continue stirring until the flour has disappeared. The mixture will be thick and lumpy (do not overstir).
- Pour the batter into the tin, scatter over the streusel topping and bake for 1 hour - 1 hour 5 minutes (the cake should feel firm when done). Wait 10 minutes before removing the cake from the tin (leaving the paper on) and placing it on a wire rack to cool. Peel off the paper before serving.
Pin Marzipan Loaf Cake with Streusel Topping!