This no-yeast quick Sun Dried Tomato Cheese Bread with Chia is a fuss free recipe full of delicious savoury flavours. Great with soup or stew!
Savoury bread makes a fantastic snack, which you can either enjoy on its own or with a hearty stew or soup. This sun dried tomato bread is infused with delicious tangy, savoury flavours, plus it is super easy to make. No need to wait for the dough to double in size and hardly any kneading involved!
If you like to use sun dried tomatoes in baking you might also like these Asparagus Scones with Sun Dried Tomatoes.
No yeast quick bread
This simple quick bread recipe does not contain any yeast so preparation time is minimal. The recipe really is very easy and if you are not very confident with your kneading skills this is the place to start. There is hardly any kneading required! Plus everything is made in one bowl. Once the dough starts to form knead it briefly (without removing from the bowl!), then transfer onto your baking sheet and flatten. Then simply bake for 30 minutes!
This quick sun dried tomato bread is a great snack to pop in your child’s lunchbox or your picnic basket. Wrapped in paper and stored in a cool place it will stay fresh for 2-3 days.
Quick bread with chia seeds
This sun dried tomato cheese bread wouldn’t be as good as it is without the chia seeds. I sprinkle them on pasta and rice dishes, hot and cold dishes, sweet and savoury dishes. But this is my first attempt at cooking, or rather baking, with chia seeds. They are increasingly popular but I don’t think it’s just a passing trend, no, I think chia seeds are here to stay.
First of all they are fantastically healthy. They are high in fibre, Omega 3 and protein (there is as much as 20 g of protein in 100 g of chia). They also have a neutral flavour which is ideal in both sweet and savoury dishes. Chia seeds are available in most supermarkets now and their prices have gone down too.
And when you bite them they pop in your mouth like sherbet! Happily they retain this exceptional characteristic even in baking as I’ve discovered with this bread.
More chia seed recipes
Sun Dried Tomato Cheese Bread with Chia
- 220 g flour
- 1 egg
- 40 ml olive oil
- 70 ml semi skimmed milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 50 g mature cheddar or other strong cheese, coarsely grated
- 4 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/3 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/ 180 C/ gas mark 4. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and chia. Stir using a whisk and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the egg and oil. Add the milk, cheese and sun-dried tomatoes and stir well. Add the flour mixture and combine using a large spoon. When the mixture starts to solidify knead it to bring it together and form a dough ball. This will only take a minute and can be done without removing the mixture from the bowl. Transfer the dough onto the baking sheet and flatten until the dough is about 1.5 cm thick (don't worry, it will rise). Bake for 30 minutes.
Pin Sun Dried Tomato Cheese Bread with Chia
KEEP IN TOUCH
RECIPE LINK PARTIES