This Easy Curried Chicken with Rice was inspired by a delicious chicken biryani I enjoyed on a recent visit to London where I stumbled upon what looked like a street food festival. Lucky me! I think food cooked and eaten outside always tastes better than indoors – that chicken biryani, served in a styrofoam container, handed to me in a paper bag with a plastic fork in it, was the best I ever had!
So now I NEED a curry dish everyday! This Easy Curried Chicken with Rice has elements of biryani as well as korma – the chicken is marinated in a creamy mixture of spices and yogurt though it is not cooked together with the rice. Chicken cooks very quickly and for me the most reliable way of ensuring it doesn’t become tough and stringy is by cooking it separately.
An Easy Weeknight Dinner.
Yes, this dish is definitely easy and quick to make – the chicken does need to be marinated for a few hours, but you can either marinate it overnight or place it in the marinade in the morning, if you’ve got time, and cook it for dinner later on that day. The dish itself is not very labour intensive and the only ingredient that needs chopping is the chicken. With a little bit of preparation this dish can be on the table in about 15 minutes! How marvellous is that?
A Healthy Low Fat Dish.
The recipe contains only a couple of spoonfuls of oil and the marinade itself is made with a combination of coconut milk (only 200 ml) and fat free Skyr so the calorie content is not significant.
This dish is moderately spicy.
Here are more Easy Weeknight Dinner ideas!
Yields 4 portions
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 600g chicken breast (approx. 3 large chicken breasts), diced
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 2/3 cup uncooked basmati rice (approx. 130g, a little more than half a cup)
- 1 cup frozen petits pois
- 4 heaped tablespoons Skyr or other thick yogurt
- 1 tablespoon each: garam masala and chilli flakes
- 1.5 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon each: turmeric, ginger powder, coriander powder, onion granules, garlic granules, fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil for frying
- Freshly chopped coriander (cilantro) for garnish
- In a large non-metal bowl combine the coconut milk, Skyr and all the spices. Stir, add the chicken pieces and mix thoroughly. Cover with cling film and chill for at least 2 hours (or overnight).
- Cook the rice according to packet instructions.
- When the rice has been cooking for 5 minutes start frying the chicken. In a large pan heat up the oil, pour in the chicken together with the marinade, stir and fry over a high/medium heat for approximately 6 minutes (± 1 minute, depending on the size of your chicken pieces), stirring often.
- Remove from the heat, combine with the cooked rice (while still hot), add the petits pois and stir through. Garnish with the cilantro and serve.
Time needed to marinate the chicken is not included in preparation time.