These healthy fish cakes with potato and chives contain very few ingredients and come together in minutes. They make a delicious and nutritious weeknight meal idea the whole family will enjoy!
I think that great tasting food does not need to be complicated. With some recipes less is definitely more and these easy healthy fish cakes with potato and chives are a good example.
Fish cakes make a fantastic easy meal idea that you know will go down well with the family. Not everyone might be keen on eating baked, poached or steamed fish, but everyone will like a fish cake! Especially children. Children love breaded anything (personal experience) so I use breadcrumbs to make all sorts of healthy ingredients more appealing. They won’t eat grilled fish but they’ll devour these breaded chicken fingers! They may not be too keen on baked salmon but love breaded salmon fish fingers. And they also absolutely love these soft and creamy fish cakes!
These healthy fish cakes are crispy on the outside and velvety smooth on the inside.
Check out my tips on how to make your own breadcrumbs.
How to make fish cakes with potato
Making your own fish cakes is a breeze! Simply cook the fish (from frozen), drain off the water and mash with a fork. In another pot boil the potatoes, drain off the water and mash with a potato masher. Then simply combine the mixtures, add the rest of the ingredients (not the breadcrumbs) and stir thoroughly. Use a potato masher for a smoother finish (see below). Form the fish cakes, coat in the breadcrumbs and fry for 2 minutes on each side until golden. Quick, simple and really delicious!
Why did I use frozen fish?
Mainly because frozen fish is more readily available as well as affordable. Which is ideal for an easy, convenient meal. It’s also very easy to prepare (see above). If, however, you prefer to use fresh fish that’s fine too. Just reduce cooking time and cook it with a little water. Then remember to drain it well before mashing (as with frozen).
How to make potato fish cakes creamy
I wanted these fish cakes to be not only delicious but also smooth and creamy. So first of all I used potatoes. It is important to mash the potatoes while hot as they will be creamier and won’t have any lumps.
These fish patties have a lovely smooth and creamy texture not only because they contain mashed potatoes but also because I added a bit of cream cheese into the mash. It tastes better too!
It is also important to mash the fish while still hot (this can be done using a fork) and combine it with the mashed potato using a potato masher. It really does make a difference.
Easy meal prep tips
Although these fish potato cakes are super quick and easy to make you can save even more time by preparing the ingredients ahead. You can cook the potatoes as well as the fish in advance. Simply mash them up (see Instructions for more on that), season and once cooled, refrigerate (overnight is fine) until you are ready to make the fish cakes. Then combine both mixtures, add the chives and mash thoroughly using a potato masher. Form the fish cakes as per instructions.
These healthy fish cakes with chives are delicious with a side dish of crispy salad or green beans. They can also be served with a zesty yogurt dip or low fat ranch dipping sauce. This refreshing minty guacamole would work well too.
More fish cakes recipes
Fish Cakes with Potato & Chives
- 380 g frozen cod or haddock
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and cubed (they will cook quicker)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon each: fine sea salt and white pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs for coating
- Boil the potatoes until tender. Remove from the heat, drain well, add the cream cheese and mash until smooth while still hot, using a potato masher.
- Meanwhile in another pot cook the fish from frozen for about 10 minutes (do not overcook) without adding any water - there will be sufficient water from the fish thawing. Remove from the heat, drain well, then mash with a fork while still hot.
- Combine the potatoes, fish (after they've cooled a little) and the rest of the ingredients (not the breadcrumbs) and mix together using a potato masher until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Form small round cakes, coat in breadcrumbs, then heat up some oil and fry over a medium heat for about 2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Yields 10 fish cakes.
Pin Fish Cakes with Potato & Chives!
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing my healthy fish cakes with potato recipe to What’s For Dinner? Sunday Link Up.