This healthy, low fat, Polish inspired easy fish casserole with vegetables is a delicious gluten and dairy free easy dinner idea.
My simple fish casserole with vegetables is a quick and delicious, healthy dinner idea the whole family will enjoy. It is zesty, tangy and can be served with potatoes, rice, pasta or even a slice of bread.
Polish fish casserole with vegetables
This fish recipe is based on a Polish recipe which is often served as part of the traditional Christmas Eve feast and goes by the somewhat puzzling name of ‘Greek style fish‘ (‘ryba po grecku‘). I have no idea if people in Greece make this dish. Perhaps the name simply reflects the fact that tomato based sauces are not very popular in Poland but are popular in Greece (pure conjecture).
My version of this recipe is a bit more spicy (I used half a red chilli) and is a one pot dish. In the traditional recipe the fish would usually be fried separately and served with the vegetable mixture on top.
This easy fish casserole is nutritious and contains no gluten or dairy so it’s perfect for all fish lovers out there.
Can I use frozen fish
Yes, you can, but you will have to take it out of the freezer ahead in order to let it thaw. The best way to do this is by placing the frozen fish in the fridge overnight.
What type of fish can I use
Either cod or haddock would work, but you can also use hake, tilapia or bass. You may have to adjust baking times depending on the thickness of the fish, so use your best judgement.
If you are using either cod or haddock the dish will need approx. 15-20 minutes in the oven. if you are using fish that’s not very thick it will require less time in the oven.
How to make fish casserole with vegetables
Start by preparing the sauce. Fry the onion, leek, chilli, bay leaf and celery in a little oil for 2 minutes. Add the wine, then gradually add the remaining sauce ingredients. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, discard the bay leaf and blitz the mixture briefly.
Place the fish in your over dish in a single layer, spread over the sauce and bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the fish is cooked. Scatter the petits pois over the whole thing and serve!
See Instructions below for more detail.
This simple fish recipe can be served with mashed potatoes, pasta, rice, quinoa, couscous or even bread. You can also enjoy it on its own.
Can I use different spices
Yes, you can! This fish vegetable casserole contains spices often used in Christmas dishes, such as allspice and a bit of cinnamon. (Don’t worry, it won’t taste like gingerbread!).
You can, however, omit these spices and just use a bit of paprika (sweet or smoked) instead. Or keep it simple and not use any spices at all! It will still taste delicious.
You could also add oregano or tarragon into the sauce if you like (about 1.5 tsp each).
More easy one pot fish recipes
Check out also this collection of 13 healthy, easy one pot chicken recipes!
Fish Casserole with Vegetables (Polish Ryba po Grecku)
- 500 g cod or haddock, cut into large pieces
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 small leek finely chopped
- 1 small celery stalk finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1-2 carrots approx. 250g, coarsely grated
- 5 tablespoons fresh parsley finely chopped
- 2/3 x 400 g tin tomatoes a little less than 1 tin
- 3 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/3 teaspoon allspice powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of cinnamon
- ½ red chilli without the seeds, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus a little more for drizzling
- 5 tablespoons white wine
- ½ cup frozen petits pois or garden peas
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- To prepare the sauce, heat up the oil, add the bay leaf, onion, chilli, leek and celery and fry over a medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring often. Add the wine and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the carrot, red pepper, parsley, tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, spices (allspice, paprika, cinnamon), season to taste, stir, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat, take out the bay leaf and puree the sauce partially so that it's thick but still chunky (or puree until completely smooth if you prefer). Taste to check if seasoning needs adjusting.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/200 C/ gas mark 6. Place the fish pieces in a medium oven dish, pour the sauce over the fish, sprinkle with the lemon zest, drizzle with a little oil and bake for 15 minutes. Defrost and heat up the petits pois (either in the microwave or by placing in boiling water for a few minutes, but do not boil them) scatter over the dish and enjoy! Serve with potatoes, rice, bread or pasta.
Pin Fish Casserole with Vegetables (Polish Ryba po Grecku)!
Looking for more easy, delicious Polish recipes?
Check out all my Polish recipes including soups, salads and mains!