This healthy, low fat, Polish inspired Easy Fish Bake with Vegetables (ryba po grecku) is a delicious gluten and dairy free easy dinner idea.
My easy fish bake with vegetables is a quick and delicious dinner idea the whole family will enjoy. It is zesty, tangy and can be served with potatoes, rice, pasta or even a slice of bread.
Polish fish casserole recipe
This fish recipe is based on a Polish recipe which is often served as part of the traditional Christmas Eve feast and goes by the somewhat puzzling name of ‘Greek style fish‘ (‘ryba po grecku‘). I have no idea if people in Greece make this dish. Perhaps the name simply reflects the fact that tomato based sauces are not very popular in Poland but are popular in Greece (pure conjecture). My version of this recipe is a bit more spicy (I used half of a red chilli) and is a one pot dish. In the traditional recipe the fish would usually be fried separately and served with the vegetable mixture on top.
This easy fish casserole is nutritious and contains no gluten or dairy so it’s perfect for fish lovers with food allergies too.
How to make easy fish casserole
Start by preparing the sauce. Fry the onion, leek, chilli, bay leaf and celery in a little oil for 2 minutes. Add the wine, then gradually add the remaining sauce ingredients. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, discard the bay leaf and blitz the mixture briefly.
Place the fish in your over dish in a single layer, spread over the sauce and bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the fish is cooked. Scatter the petits pois over the whole thing and serve!
See Instructions below for more detail.
Make it for the festive season
This healthy fish casserole with vegetables contains spices often used in Christmas dishes, such as allspice and a bit of cinnamon. (Don’t worry, it won’t taste like gingerbread!). So it’s perfect for the festive season as well as an everyday healthy dish.
I’ll be posting traditional Polish Christmas recipes (involving sauerkraut!) next week!
More easy one- pot fish recipes
Easy Fish bake with Vegetables (Polish Ryba po Grecku)
- 500 g cod or haddock, cut into large pieces
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 small leek finely chopped
- 1 small celery stalk finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1-2 carrots approx. 250g, coarsely grated
- 5 tablespoons fresh parsley finely chopped
- 2/3 x 400 g tin tomatoes a little less than 1 tin
- 3 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/3 teaspoon allspice powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of cinnamon
- ½ red chilli without the seeds, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus a little more for drizzling
- 5 tablespoons white wine
- ½ cup frozen petits pois or garden peas
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- To prepare the sauce, heat up the oil, add the bay leaf, onion, chilli, leek and celery and fry over a medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring often. Add the wine and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the carrot, red pepper, parsley, tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, spices (allspice, paprika, cinnamon), season to taste, stir, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat, take out the bay leaf and puree the sauce partially (or until completely smooth if you prefer). Taste to check if seasoning needs adjusting (season the sauce well).
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/200 C/ gas mark 6. Place the fish pieces in a medium oven dish, pour the sauce over the fish, sprinkle with the lemon zest, drizzle with a little oil and bake for 15 minutes. Defrost and heat up the petits pois (either in the microwave or by placing in boiling water for a few minutes, but do not boil them) scatter over the dish and enjoy! Serve with potatoes, rice, bread or pasta.
Pin Easy Fish Bake with Vegetables (Polish Ryba po Grecku)!
Looking for more easy, delicious Polish recipes?
Check out all my Polish recipes including soups, salads and mains!