Give the humble carrot a little makeover this spring with this delicious seasonal Easy Oriental Swiss Chard and Carrot dish – ready in 15 minutes!
EASY ORIENTAL SWISS CHARD AND CARROT
I love cooking with seasonal vegetables. The fact that they are at their best for a short time only makes them special and I try to use them in my cooking as much as possible while they are in season. This also means that I am keen to cook them in different ways and with a variety of ingredients. And so recently I came up with this simple side dish recipe – Easy Oriental Swiss Chard and Carrot.
Swiss chard belongs to the beet family (my favourite plant family, see all my beetroot recipes HERE), and like its relatives, it’s very nutritious with a somewhat earthy flavour. This makes it ideal to pair with a sweet vegetable, such as the carrot.
This recipe is very simple and takes minutes to make. You can chop up the ingredients while the carrots are cooking so by the time they are done all you have to do is quickly stir fry the rest of the ingredients.
Enjoy this sweet, spicy, lively dish with rice, noodles, quinoa or chicken.
If you make this recipe I’d love to know how it turned out so don’t forget to leave a quick comment below! Thanks!
What’s your favourite way of preparing swiss chard?
I am bringing my Easy Oriental Swiss Chard and Carrot recipe to this week’s Simple and in Season hosted by feedingboys.co.uk
Easy Oriental Swiss Chard and Carrot
- 5 medium carrots sliced (peeled or unpeeled)
- 100 g Swiss chard leaves and stalks
- 1 tablespoon ginger finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cilantro finely chopped
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- Steam or boil the carrots, ensuring they still retain some crunch. Drain and set aside.
- In a wok (or large frying pan) heat up the oil, then add the garlic, ginger and chilli flakes. Fry for about a minute on a low/medium heat stirring constantly. Add the chard and fry for another minute or so continuing to stir. Remove from the heat, add the sauce, carrots and cilantro (coriander). Stir well to combine. Serve immediately.