Quinoa breakfast bake with spinach and eggs is a vegetarian gluten free savoury breakfast/brunch recipe full of nutritious and energy boosting ingredients. It’s low in fat and high in protein.
Today I made a seriously savoury quinoa breakfast bake with spinach, eggs and feta cheese. We enjoyed this simple healthy veggie breakfast with lots of black pepper and lots and LOTS of green olives! Absolutely delicious!
I like colour in my food and this recipe has got plenty of it. The eggs look so appealing on the bed of green quinoa!
How to make quinoa breakfast bake
Preparation is very quick and your dish will be ready to go into the oven in less than 10 minutes.
Start by preparing the spinach. Fry the onion in a little oil, add the spinach and cook for a minute. Combine the mixture with the butter and yogurt and puree. Then simply combine with the cooked quinoa, season and transfer into your oven dish. Once you’ve scattered the feta over the quinoa you can add the eggs (more on that below).
Prepping the ingredients
You can cook the eggs separately any way you like, and add them into the quinoa mixture. Fried or poached eggs would work especially well. (See the instructions below). Or you could follow the instructions below and bake the eggs inside the casserole.
You will save lots of time if you cook the quinoa in advance (once cooled, you can refrigerate it for 3-4 days).
More savory breakfast recipes
Check out also this collection of 18 healthy, easy vegetable breakfast recipes.
KEEP IN TOUCH
How has your spinach quinoa bake turned out for you? Let me know in the comments below, thanks!
Quinoa Spinach Breakfast Bake with Eggs
- 1 cup cooked quinoa use 1/2 cup raw quinoa to get this amount
- 130 g fresh spinach
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3 tbsp fromage frais/yogurt/ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 70 g feta cubed or crumbled
- 2-3 eggs
- Salt and plenty of pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6.
- In a large frying pan heat up the oil, add the onion and fry it for a couple of minutes on a medium heat stirring often. Add the spinach and continue frying for about a minute until the spinach reduces in size stirring all the time. Add the butter and yogurt, puree the mixture and combine with the cooked quinoa. Season to taste and stir thoroughly.
- Transfer the mixture into a small casserole dish and add the feta pressing the pieces gently into the mixture. Using a large spoon make 2 round shallow moulds in the mixture to prevent the raw egg from escaping. Crack the eggs carefully into the moulds, season, cover and bake for about 25 minutes (or until the whites have set). Alternatively, bake the quinoa mixture without the eggs for 10 minutes and serve with fried or poached eggs.