These gluten free healthy chocolate hazelnut cookies are dairy free, low in fat and sugar and make a delicious healthy treat. They make a fantastic lunchbox idea too!
These healthy chocolate cookies contain a handful of ingredients and come together in minutes. They are high in fibre, nutty goodness, are super delicious and easy to make.
For me chocolate and hazelnuts are a match made in heaven. As a child I loved milk chocolate bars studded with whole hazelnuts. My ideal breakfast was nutella spread generously on a piece of white toast. These days I opt for a healthy chocolate hazelnut spread and dark rather than milk chocolate (but I still love to have it with hazelnuts). My children share my love of chocolate-and-nut desserts (as well as my love of dark chocolate!) and I know they will love these healthy chocolate hazelnut cookies too. So this is my gift to them on Mother’s Day.
Chocolate cookies with ground almonds
These nutty chocolate cookies are very light thanks to the addition of the ground almonds, which make a fantastic wheat flour substitute. I’ve used them in this lemon muffins recipe with marzipan, as well as these gluten free blueberry muffins. If you are gluten intolerant make sure you are using gluten free baking powder (not all baking powder is GF!). The almonds also add a bit of natural sweetness and nutty flavour to this chocolate cookie recipe.
Using vegetable oil instead of butter also produces lighter bakes and this recipe is no exception (I use vegetable oil, most often cold pressed rapeseed, in baking a lot!).
How to make flourless chocolate cookies
This is a very straightforward recipe and you’ll only need 10 minutes to prepare the cookie batter. Simply combine the dry ingredients, then add the chocolate chunks and hazelnuts to the mixture and stir. In another bowl beat together the egg, sugar and oil, then pour in the dry mixture and stir to combine. Then just drop small spoonfuls of the batter onto your cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes. Enjoy your cookies!
*NOTE: Remember not to overcrowd the cookie sheet. It’s better to work in batches. Also try not to overstir the cookie batter. Stir just enough to combine the ingredients.
You can use either cocoa or cacao powder in this healthy chocolate cookies recipe. I tend to use cacao as it is a little healthier. (Check out also this collection of 27 everyday healthy cacao recipes).
More healthy cookies recipes
If you make these flourless gluten free chocolate cookies I’d love to know how they turned out for you. Please let me know in the comments below, thanks!
Healthy Chocolate Cookies with Hazelnuts (Flourless)
- 90 g ground almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder ensure it's gluten free if you are gluten intolerant
- 20 g cocoa/cacao powder
- 1 large egg
- 50 g sugar
- 40 ml vegetable oil
- 60 g lightly toasted crushed hazelnuts
- 60 g dark chocolate chips/chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350F / 180C / gas mark 4.
- Combine the ground almonds, baking powder and cocoa/cacao powder and stir using a whisk. Add in the hazelnuts and chocolate chips/chunks, stir using a spoon and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat together the egg, sugar and oil for a couple of minutes until fluffy.
- Pour in the dry ingredient mixture and stir to combine (do not overstir). Drop small spoonfuls of the batter onto a cookie sheet, flatten a little and bake for 12 minutes in the centre of the oven.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for 5 minutes then transfer onto a cooling rack (use a spatula to do this).
Pin Healthy Chocolate Cookies with Hazelnuts (Flourless)
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing these flourless chocolate hazelnut cookies to Baking Crumbs. Visit the linky and check out all the delicious bakes submitted by other bloggers!