These quick and easy, gluten free apple muffins with almonds and cinnamon make a delicious breakfast, healthy lunchbox idea or low sugar snack anytime.
These semi-sweet gluten free apple muffins come with a crunchy topping of maple coated almonds. They take 10 minutes to throw together and only need 23 minutes in the oven!
How to make gluten free apple muffins
Start by combining the ‘dry’ ingredients, i.e. the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and cinnamon.
Combine 1/3 of the almond flakes with the maple syrup and stir the rest of the flakes into the flour mixture.
In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar and oil until smooth. Add the milk and stir.
Peel, core and coarsely grate the apples and add into the egg mixture.
Combine both mixtures and stir only until the dry ingredients are no longer visible. Spoon the mixture into your muffin pan, top with the maple almond flake mixture and bake in a preheated oven for 23 minutes (400 F/200 C/ gas mark 6).
Can you taste the buckwheat in these gluten free apple muffins
Yes, but it’s very subtle. I used a combination of buckwheat flour and ground almonds (almond flour) so there is only a hint of buckwheat flavour in these muffins. Buckwheat also pairs really well with apple and cinnamon so these muffins are pretty delicious:).
Why is buckwheat flour a good gluten free substitute for wheat flour
Despite its name, buckwheat is not a type of wheat but a seed, so it’s naturally gluten free (both the groats as well as the flour). Buckwheat flour produces great bakes, which makes it an ideal substitute for wheat flour. It has a slightly malty, earthy flavour, which works great in muffins and pancakes.
Buckwheat flour is full of goodness! It’s high in protein, fibre, antioxidants, manganese, magnesium and other minerals.
What apples to use in almond apple muffins
I recommend using a sweet, rather than sour, variety of apple. If you use sour apples you may have to add more sugar into the batter.
If you like this recipe you may also like these healthy apple pancakes (not gluten free) with cinnamon and yogurt.
Fan of apple breakfast recipes? Try this low carb apple crumble with walnuts and ginger.
Most muffins are best served warm and these almond apple muffins are no exception. If possible, pop them in the microwave for 8 seconds. You can enjoy them as they are or with a little butter or cream cheese.
More gluten free muffin recipes
Check out also this collection of 18 healthy, easy vegetable breakfast recipes.
Gluten Free Apple Muffins with Almonds
- 2 and 1/4 cups grated sweet apple peeled, cored, approx. 3 medium apples
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup ground almonds/almond flour
- 2/3 cup almond flakes
- 2.5 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 cup semi-skimmed milk/low fat
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Lightly grease or line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper muffin cases and set aside.
- Combine the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and cinnamon and stir using a whisk.
- Combine 1/3 of the almond flakes with the maple syrup and set aside. Add the rest of the flakes into the flour mixture.
- Whisk together the eggs, sugar and oil until smooth. Add the milk and stir to combine.
- Peel, core and coarsely grate the apples. Add into the egg mixture and stir well.
- Pour in the flour mixture all at one and stir just to combine. Spoon the muffin batter into the muffin pan/cases, top each muffin with about 1 tsp of the maple almond flakes and bake for 23 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack for 15 minutes. Enjoy your muffins!