These easy, light Gluten Free Apple Muffins with Coconut are the perfect breakfast, healthier dessert or low sugar snack anytime.
GLUTEN FREE APPLE MUFFINS WITH COCONUT
I haven’t posted a breakfast recipe for a while so today on the blog a new muffin recipe – Gluten Free Apple Muffins with Coconut. Lately I have had pumpkin and butternut squash and comfort foods and falling leaves on my mind and, as a result, have neglected the muffin lover in me. Now that the initial excitement of the new season is over, Halloween is behind us and the leaves have been raked I can turn my attention to different things, such as baking muffins.
These healthy apple muffins are different from my usual muffin recipes as they don’t contain any wheat, which makes them 100 % gluten free. I have used a combination of coconut flour and ground almonds instead of wheat flour, and this has produced a different texture. I don’t really use coconut flour in my baking so wasn’t sure what to expect. These coconut flour apple muffins turned out more crumbly, soft and fluffy than muffins made with wheat flour. I like that a lot. If you decide to give this recipe a go I’d love to know what you think.
If you are looking for more gluten free muffin recipes you might like these Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins with Maple Syrup. Check out also these Buckwheat Carrot Chia Muffins recipe. In addition to being gluten free it’s also dairy free.
I used bramley (cooking) apples in this gluten free apple muffins recipe, but you can use other varieties of sour apple. We are in the apple season so there is plenty to choose from. I could talk at length about the various culinary uses of apples but I thought I’d take a more practical approach instead. Here are some of my recent recipes using apples: Roasted Cauliflower Apple Soup, Chicken Traybake with Apple and Rooibos and My Mum’s Best Russian Salad. The apple not only enhances the flavour of these muffins it also keeps them moist, without, however, making them heavy and stodgy.
Another delicious autumnal bake you might want to check out is this Healthy Pumpkin Muffin Recipe with Chocolate Streusel.
Gluten Free Apple Muffins with Coconut
- 1 and 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut plus a bit more for sprinkling
- 2 large bramley apples or other sour variety
- 4 tablespoons sugar plus a bit more for sprinkling
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Line a muffin tin with paper muffin cases and set aside.
- Combine the flour, ground almonds, desiccated coconut and baking powder and set aside.
- Whisk together the egg, sugar and oil. Add the coconut milk and stir well to combine.
- Peel the apples, remove the cores and grate coarsely (you should have about 2 cups of grated apple). Add to the wet ingredients and stir thoroughly.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the mixture and stir only until they are no longer visible. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases, sprinkle with some desiccated coconut and sugar and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
Pin this Gluten Free Apple Muffins with Coconut recipe!
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPE IDEAS
Here you will find more easy, healthy and delicious breakfast recipes all in one place. There are ‘sweet’ recipes, savory ones, muffins, frittatas and more.