This hearty, creamy Easy Split Pea Soup with Arugula is tasty, nutritious and naturally gluten free. You can throw it together in minutes and the peas don’t require soaking!
How to make easy split pea soup
This green split pea soup is one of the easiest soups to prepare. There is a bit of chopping involved but you the list of ingredients is not very long. Plus it all gets pureed in the end so you don’t have to chop the ingredients very finely.
To make the soup simply fry all the ingredients (not the arugula) in a pot briefly, pour in the water, season and cook for about 40 minutes (or until the peas are tender). Then remove from the heat and toss in some fresh arugula for a pungent, peppery finish. Puree and enjoy!
Why shouldn’t I cook the arugula
Arugula (rocket leaves) has delicate leaves which will add delicious fresh notes to this soup but only if you add it in after the soup has been cooked. If you cook the arugula you won’t be able to appreciate its lovely nutty, peppery flavour.
I love serving this soup with my easy breadsticks with cheese, rye or pumpernickel bread or freshly made low fat croutons. You’ll find an easy croutons recipe in my post on Spinach Pea Soup. These croutons go really well also with this Spicy Spinach Bean Soup!
Add your favourite seeds for more texture, a drizzle of oil and tuck in!
This easy split pea soup recipe is vegan, but you could add a knob of butter and enjoy it vegetarian.
This soup will thicken after a while so you might have to add a drop of water to it especially if you are reheating it the next day.
Did you know
Did you know that the colour of the food we eat can affect our mood? At least according to Good Housekeeping (18 May 2015). Green symbolises nature and can have a calming effect on our bodies. So we should embrace green foods as they are not only important to our digestive system but are also good for our mental health.
Check out also this collection of 12 creamy vegan soups!
Easy Split Pea Soup with Arugula (Vegan)
- 1 cup dried split green peas
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1 celery stalk roughly chopped
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
- 60 g fresh arugula, (rocket leaves), chopped
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Rinse the peas thoroughly and strain well. Set aside. Heat the oil in a large pot and add the bay leaf, onion, garlic, celery and peas. Stir well to combine. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 2-3 minutes stirring often. Add the potatoes, seasoning and water. Cover, bring to boil, then simmer slowly for 40 minutes, or until the peas are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and take out the bay leaf. Add the arugula and puree. Enjoy!
Pin Easy Split Pea Soup with Arugula (Vegan) for later!
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am sharing this easy vegan split soup recipe with This Is How We Roll Link Party.