This grilled chicken with redcurrant gravy is a super speedy (ready in about 20 minutes!), healthy recipe, zesty, fruity, delicious and filled with summer sun!
This chicken with redcurrant gravy is a fantastic summer dish using seasonal fruit a little differently. This savoury recipe makes a delicious light meal perfect to enjoy on a hot day. It comes together in as little as 20 minutes!
How to make redcurrant gravy
Chicken can be served with a wide range of sauces, which usually involve savoury ingredients, but in this simple chicken recipe I used fruit. Redcurrants are sour rather than sweet, which makes them an ideal ingredient for creating tangy sauces. They also cook very quickly so this easy redcurrant gravy comes together in minutes!
Simply place the gravy ingredients in a saucepan, bring to boil and cook for 4-5 minutes until the sauce thickens. Stir often to prevent the gravy sticking to the pan. Remove from the heat and serve immediately. Alternatively pour the mixture into a fine-mesh strainer and stir over a bowl to separate the pulp from the sauce.
You could also puree the sauce with the fruit in it. I prefer a more rustic dish with the tiny redcurrants floating in the silky gravy.
How to prepare the chicken
This is also very uncomplicated. Simply cut the chicken breast lengthwise into 3 strips each, season and coat in a little oil. Set aside while you make the redcurrant gravy.
If you are making this dish as a quick mid week meal you will probably cook the chicken in a griddle pan, rather than al fresco. Heat up the griddle pan and cook the chicken over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side. The exact cooking time will depend on the size of your chicken pieces.
If you like the idea of combining white meat with fruit you may also like my baked apricot chicken with horseradish sauce.
What to serve with grilled chicken in redcurrant gravy
Toss together the arugula with beans, add a drizzle of oil and lemon juice and serve alongside the chicken. I chose flageolet beans for their subtle sweet flavour but you could use any beans in this recipe.
For a more satisfying meal stir a bit of cooked orzo pasta or quinoa into the salad.
If you are a fan of redcurrant you may also like this simple almond redcurrant cake recipe.
More easy chicken recipes
You may also like this collection of 13 healthy easy one pot chicken recipes.
Grilled Chicken with Redcurrant Gravy
- 3 medium chicken breasts sliced into 3 strips each
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
For the Redcurrant Gravy
- 120 g redcurrants
- 1 and 1/3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup flageolet beans presoaked and cooked or from a can
- 2 handfuls arugula about 60 g, roughly chopped
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- lemon juice for drizzling
- Coat the chicken pieces with 2 tablespoons of oil, season and set aside.
- To make the gravy place the redcurrants, honey, butter and balsamic vinegar in a saucepan, bring to boil and simmer for 4-5 minutes stirring often. Set aside.
- Combine the beans, arugula and remaining oil, season, drizzle with a little lemon juice and stir well.
- Cook the chicken in a griddle pan (medium heat) for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- To serve place the chicken on a bed of arugula and beans, drizzle with the gravy (and a bit more olive oil if you like) and enjoy!
Pin Grilled Chicken with Redcurrant Gravy
Keep in touch
Recipe link parties
I am bringing this chicken and redcurrant gravy recipe to Tasty Tuesdays.