This quick and easy Grilled Pineapple Chicken Salad Recipe is a simple way of turning leftover chicken into a zesty, light and delicious lunch/snack.
What I love most about having leftovers is that they can be turned into anything we want. They can be added to soups, stews, sandwiches, wraps, pasta or salads – the possibilities are endless. This Grilled Pineapple Chicken Salad Recipe turns leftover chicken into a zesty delicious appetizer or light lunch.
Pineapple and chicken is a tried and tested combination. It works equally well in pizzas as well as salads and wraps. See for example this easy grilled chicken pineapple wrap, which comes with with a a quick, refreshing minty guacamole.
Easy pineapple chicken recipe
This recipe consists of 2 parts: one is making the chicken salad and the other to grill the pineapple. Both are super quick and easy.
Making the chicken salad
This simply involves combining all the ingredients in the list (apart from the pineapple). There is a bit of chopping involved but you won’t need more than 8 minutes throwing this chicken salad together. After that all you have to do is grill your pineapple.
Prepping the pineapple
For me the easiest way of preparing the pineapple is to cut both ends, stand the pineapple on one end and slice the skin off downwards all the way around. Then cut thick slices lengthways around the core. Your pineapple is now ready to be grilled.
Place a dollop of the chicken salad mixture on each pineapple slice, drizzle with a bit more oil if you like and enjoy!
Can you adapt this recipe
Yes, you can!
I wanted this recipe to be simple and convenient and that meant using ingredients most of us tend to have in our cupboards or fridges. That’s why this recipe is super adaptable and you do not have to stick to my ingredient choices. It’s about using the ingredients you have in a way that suits you.
I used tinned aduki beans in this recipe, but you can use any variety of beans, and chickpeas will do as well. I chose dark coloured beans to create a bit of a contrast with the other ingredients.
The choice of leafy salad vegetables is also quite flexible. I happened to have arugula, spinach and watercress in my fridge, couldn’t decide which one would work best and ended up using a combination of all 3. But you could use either one or a completely different vegetable if you prefer.
As for my choice of oil I think walnut oil works really well with the rest of the ingredients, but you could use good quality vegetable or mild tasting olive oil.
More pineapple recipes
Check out also this collection of 13 healthy easy one pot chicken recipes.
Grilled Pineapple Chicken Salad Recipe
- 1 large pineapple
- 200 g chicken cooked, roasted or grilled, roughly chopped
- 2 good handfuls rocket arugula, spinach and/or watercress, chopped
- 1 tin 400 g aduki beans, strained, rinsed (or other beans)
- 1 large or 2 small shallots finely chopped
- 5-6 radishes chopped
- Sea salt and plenty of black pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Walnut oil for drizzling and sliced avocado for garnish
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients apart from the pineapple, walnut oil and avocado. Stir thoroughly and set aside.
- Cut off the stem and opposite end of the pineapple. Stand the pineapple up on one end and cut the skin off slicing downwards. Cut approx. 1 cm thick slices lengthways around the core (you should have 8 slices in total). Discard the tough core.
- Heat up a griddle pan and grill the pineapple slices for a couple of minutes on each side.
- Spoon a desired amount of the chicken salad on top of the pineapple, place avocado slices on top, drizzle with walnut oil and serve.
Pin Grilled Pineapple Chicken Salad Recipe for later!
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing this Grilled Pineapple Chicken Salad Recipe to Cook Blog Share, hosted this week by Recipes Made Easy. Also sharing with What’s Cookin’ Wednesday and Fiesta Friday (co-hosted by Food Eat Love and Lin’s Recipes).