These whole wheat easy breadsticks with cheese are made from scratch and come together in just over 30 minutes. Enjoy as a snack, on its own or with a dip or serve with a hearty soup.
Whole wheat breadsticks make a great accompaniment to soups and dips. They are also delicious as a stand alone snack (especially as an easy lunchbox idea). And if you want to make your own easy, healthy breadsticks from scratch this recipe is perfect.
Healthy whole wheat breadsticks recipe
This breadsticks recipe is not only easy to make it is quite nutritious. This is because I used whole wheat rather than plain white flour. So these breadsticks are high in fibre, Vitamin B6, Magnesium and there is even some iron.
You could boost their nutritional value even more by sprinkling chia or poppy seeds on top. I used onion seeds (nigella) for their flavour. They complement the cheese really well. You could also use a combination of seeds (and do so more generously than I have done if you like).
Homemade cheese breadsticks
This breadsticks recipe is super quick and easy to make as it doesn't contain any yeast. I used a bit of baking powder instead. Simply combine the ingredients and make the breadsticks. The dough comes together within minutes so there isn't too much kneading involved.
Then comes the fun part of shaping your breadsticks. Try to make them quite thin, about 1.5 cm in diameter as they will expand a little in the oven.
They will stay fresh wrapped in paper for up to 2 days.
You might also like
- Healthy Cheese Scones with Cauliflower Rice
- Sun Dried Tomato Soda Bread with Cheese
- Carrot Scones with Walnuts
- Fresh Spinach Quick Bread with Buttermilk
Healthy Whole Wheat Breadsticks with Cheese
- 150 g wholewheat flour approx. 1 cup
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 70 g mature cheddar cheese coarsely grated
- 80 g salted butter cubed
- 1 egg beaten
- Onion seeds (nigella), chia, black sesame seeds or poppy seeds for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/ 180 C/ gas mark 4. Line a baking sheet with grease-proof paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour and baking powder. Add the butter and rub it into the flour mixture with your fingers until crumbly. Add the cheese, most of the egg (leave a little for brushing the breadsticks) and knead until the dough starts coming together. Turn onto a clean surface and make a dough ball.
- Divide the dough into 2 parts (easier to work with). Roll each part into a thin sausage shape and cut into approximately 5 cm long pieces. (Dust your hands with a little flour if you like to prevent the dough sticking to them). Roll each piece a little more to make thin finger shapes (about 1.5 cm in diameter) and place on the baking sheet, not too close together. Brush the top of the breadsticks with the remaining egg, sprinkle with the seeds (as generously as you like) and bake in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
*Nutritional information is automatically generated and should be considered as an estimate.