These healthy turkey meatballs in mushroom sauce make a fantastic family meal or potluck item that’s suitable for any occasion. Made from scratch, this meatballs recipe is brimming with nutritious ingredients. This rustic dish contains a handful of ingredients and is super easy to make.
How to make soft, fluffy meatballs
Meatballs are easy to make but not all meatballs turn out light and fluffy. My tried and tested method of making super fluffy meatballs involves a couple of simple steps.
First of all, use a soft bun/roll rather than breadcrumbs to combine with the meat.
Secondly, blitz all the ingredients until they are fully combined and come together in a sticky mixture.
It is important to follow these steps, especially as the recipe uses low fat meat, which, if not prepared correctly, can be a little dry.
To make the meatballs, start by tearing the bun into chunks (use wholewheat or white bun) and combining with 5 tablespoons of milk. Place in a blender and add the rest of the meatballs ingredients. Blitz for a few seconds until they start forming a sticky ball. Make the meatballs, add into the mushroom sauce and cook, covered, for about 10 minutes (see Instructions below for more details).
Can I prepare the meatballs ahead
Absolutely! You can either prepare just the meatball mixture or form the meatballs as well (without cooking them). Whatever you choose to do ensure it’s covered before popping in the fridge overnight.
How to make a healthy mushroom sauce
The simple chunky mushroom sauce is also made completely from scratch and using very few ingredients.
I used a bit of single cream (half and half or light cream), water and a few spoonfuls of naturally low in fat fromage frais (fromage blanc). So the sauce is rich and creamy, though without too many calories.
Start by frying the onion until softened. Then add the finely chopped mushrooms, parsley and seasoning and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the corn flour, then add the water, cream and fromage frais (fromage blanc) and cook for another minute or so until the mixture thickens. And that’s all there is to it!
Then simply pop the meatballs into the sauce, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes until the meatballs are fully cooked (turn them over gently once or twice during cooking and stir the sauce so it doesn’t stick to the pan).
More mushroom sauce recipes
Can I make the mushroom sauce in advance
Yes, you can! Once the sauce has cooled completely transfer it into a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight. When you are ready to put the recipe together heat up the sauce in a large shallow dish first, then add in the (raw) meatballs and simmer until the meatballs are cooked through.
What meat can I use to make meatballs in mushroom sauce
I used turkey, but chicken, pork, lamb or beef will work too. Whichever meat you choose make sure it’s low in fat (I used ground turkey containing 7% fat).
Note* Beef alone may not produce the softest meatballs so you may want to consider combining it with pork or turkey.
What to serve with turkey meatballs in mushroom sauce
This turkey meatballs recipe is great with mashed potatoes or pasta, but you could also serve it with something less conventional, such as bulgur wheat or buckwheat.
More healthy meatball dinners
Healthy Meatballs in Mushroom Sauce (Turkey)
For the Meatballs
- 500 ground turkey or another type of meat approx. 7% fat
- 1 medium soft roll/bun torn into chunks
- 5 tbsp semi-skimmed milk (reduced fat)
- 1 tsp fine sea salt plus a good pinch of pepper
- 1 tsp onion granules
For the Mushroom Sauce
- 500 g regular, closed cup mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley finely chopped (plus more for garnish)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup single cream (half and half, light cream)
- 4 tbsp fromage frais (fromage blanc)
- 1 tsp fine sea salt plus a good pinch of pepper
- To make the meatballs combine the bun pieces with the milk and stir. Combine with the rest of the meatballs ingredients and blitz in a blender for a few seconds until the mixture comes together forming a sticky ball. Make 10-12 meatballs and set aside.
- To make the mushroom sauce, in a large shallow dish heat up the oil, add the onion and fry for 2 minutes (until softened), stirring often. Add in the chopped mushrooms, parsley and seasoning and continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring often. Sprinkle the corn flour, stir in, then add the water, cream and fromage frais. Stir thoroughly and cook for another minute or so until the mixture thickens.
- Add in the (raw) meatballs, cover and simmer slowly for 10 minutes, or until the meatballs are fully cooked. Turn the meatballs over once or twice during cooking and stir the sauce to prevent it sticking to the pan. Sprinkle with a little parsley (optional) and serve.
Pin Healthy Meatballs in Mushroom Sauce (Turkey)
Recipe link parties
I am bringing these healthy turkey meatballs with mushrooms to What’s For Dinner Sunday Linkup. Also sharing with #CookBlogShare and Fiesta Friday, co-hosted by Antonia @ Zoale.com and Liz @ Spades, Spatulas & Spoons.