This easy eggplant pasta bake with chickpeas is vegan, low in fat, packed full of goodness and absolutely delicious! It’s also one of the easiest to make one pot pasta dishes you’ll ever find!
Easy Eggplant Pasta Bake
This easy eggplant pasta bake is made using tinned tomatoes and chickpeas (so it’s quick and easy), in addition to the eggplant (aubergine). Plus a few extras, such as seasoning, oil etc. Very simple. I didn’t use any spices other than paprika (smoked paprika is especially tasty in this recipe).
Cooking all the ingredients together for 30 minutes infuses the dish with lots of flavour, so the sauce is rich and really delicious. I used a similar method in my recent recipe, Mediterranean inspired vegan butternut squash casserole. (Though I made it without the pasta).
This eggplant chickpea recipe is really super simple and easy to throw together. You won’t need more than 20 minutes to prepare it and there’ll be enough to feed 5 hungry people. I used quite a bit of tinned tomatoes so this pasta bake is beautifully cooked on the inside while the top gets nicely browned and caramelized.
Which is why a one pot bake is such a delicious way of enjoying a pasta dish.
How to make vegetarian pasta bake with eggplant
Preheat the oven. Fry the garlic, onion and eggplant for about 10 minutes or until softened. Stir often. Add the wine and cook for another minute.
Add the beans, tomatoes, cover and cook for 15 more minutes or until the eggplant is quite soft. Add the rest of the ingredients (including the precooked pasta), give it a good stir and bake for 30 minutes.
Serve your pasta casserole immediately! (scroll down to the bottom of the post for more detailed Instructions)
More easy eggplant recipes
If you like this easy eggplant pasta bake you may also like my Eggplant Tomato Casserole with Beans. Another delicious, easy eggplant recipe is this aromatic Spicy Vegan Eggplant Casserole with Thai Basil.
Baked eggplant also makes a fantastic sauce ingredient. I used it in this Smoky Eggplant Pepper Pasta Sauce recipe. Check out also this Spicy Quinoa Stuffed Eggplant (Vegan), another fuss free delicious meal idea.
Check out also this collection of over 12 healthy vegetarian pasta meals.
Easy Eggplant Pasta Bake with Chickpeas
- 1 medium eggplant/aubergine, cubed, approx. weight 450-500g
- 2 cups raw fusilli pasta, reserve 2/3 cup of water from cooking the pasta
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 400g tin chickpeas, including the brine
- 2 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 tbsp white wine
- 1 tsp fine sea salt, plus plenty of pepper
- 1.5 tsp paprika, smoked or sweet
- 1 bay leaf
- Boil the pasta with the bay leaf in salted water for 4 minutes, strain and reserve 2/3 cup of the water. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F/ 190 C/ gas mark 5.
- While the pasta is cooking in a large shallow casserole dish (with a lid) heat up the oil, add the garlic, onion, eggplant and fry over a low/medium heat for about 15 minutes or until the eggplant is quite soft and lightly browned, stirring often. Add the wine and continue cooking for another minute.
- Add the beans, including the brine, tomatoes, seasoning, cover and continue cooking for 10 more minutes, or until the eggplant is quite soft.
- Add the pasta plus 2/3 cup of the water it cooked in and stir thoroughly. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Half way through drizzle with a bit more oil (optional).
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Pin this Easy Eggplant Pasta Bake with Chickpeas!
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing this healthy pasta bake with eggplant to #CookBlogShare. This week’s host is Jacqui@Recipes Made Easy.