This dairy free Herring Salad with Mango and Shallot combines sweet, savoury and sharp flavours! It’s simple to make and healthy – perfect to include in your party menu!
If you are looking for a different kind of salad that’s delicious and quick to prepare then try this Herring Salad with Mango and Shallot.
Herring is not a typical salad ingredient so it was ideal for my slightly unusual salad! Herring dishes often include sour cream based sauces, plenty of onion, vinegar and are usually served as starters in Scandinavian or Slavic cuisines. I’ve also had herring with raisins, which inspired me to add a ‘sweet’ twist to my herring salad in the form of mango
How to prepare the herring
You will need to buy ready to eat pickled herring. It will be very salty so just rinse it briefly in cold water and pat it dry using a paper towel. Then simply chop it up finely and combine with the rest of the salad ingredients.
Texture and seasoning
This pickled herring salad is sweet, savoury and sharp, full of different textures from tender herring and mango to crunchy shallot and pistachios. It is vibrant, full of colour and sure to make an impression on the guests! Because the herring is quite salty there is no need to add extra salt, but you can adjust the seasoning according to your preference.
If you like this easy mango salad with pickled herring you might also like my Pomelo Quinoa Smoked Salmon Salad.
Check out also this collection of over 15 easy vegan salads.
Herring Salad with Mango and Shallot
- 120 g herring fillet in brine
- 1/2 mango peeled, finely chopped
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 4-5 tablespoons cilantro/parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 cup pistachios lightly crushed
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil I used cold pressed rapeseed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pepper to taste
- Rinse the herring (to get rid of excess salt), pat dry using a paper towel and finely chop. Combine with the rest of the ingredients and stir thoroughly (leave some pistachios to sprinkle on top if you like). Serve with crackers or rye bread (I used rye Crispbread). Serve immediately.
Pin Pickled Herring Mango Salad!