These nutritious savoury corn muffins with leek & cheese make a delicious breakfast, brunch or healthy lunchbox idea or a satisfying snack anytime. These easy muffins contain both cornmeal and corn kernels, sweet sauteed leek and a moderate amount of cheese.
Breakfast is an important meal in my house and I usually try to make something a bit more special at the weekends. This weekend we are going to enjoy these savory corn muffins with leek & cheese. Because muffins don’t always have to be sweet, do they?
Preparing the leek
I have recently discovered just how tasty leeks can be if they are cooked (or fried) briefly and not allowed to get too soft and soggy. (See my leek stew recipe with potato dumplings). In this savoury muffin recipe the leek is only fried for a couple of minutes before being added to the muffin batter.
I think this method brings out more sweetness and depth and using uncooked leek wouldn’t have produced the same effect.
Easy cornmeal muffins
This savoury muffin recipe is super easy to make. Apart from the leek which needs to be briefly sauteed first, the other ingredients do not require prepping.
You will need 2 bowls, a whisk and a large spoon. Plus a muffin dish of course (for 6 muffins).
In one bowl combine all your dry ingredients, including the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and seasoning.
In the other bowl whisk the egg and oil until smooth, then pour in the milk, add the corn kernels and cheese and stir. Lastly tip in the dry mixture and stir only until the flour is no longer visible. Spoon this lumpy batter into a lightly greased (or lined with paper cases) muffin dish. Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes.
Healthy cornmeal muffins with cheese
These muffins are not only easy to make and delicious, they are also quite nutritious. First of all, there is no sugar! They contain not one but two vegetables and are pretty low in fat. I used healthy olive oil, rather than butter, and a moderate amount of cheese.
These nutritious savory corn muffins are not only great for breakfast or brunch, they also make a satisfying healthy lunchbox idea or snack anytime. They can be enjoyed cold or heated up, with a slice of ham (if you don’t need them to be vegetarian), or simply on their own.
Can I freeze these savory corn muffins
Yes, you can! These muffins freeze well. I like to make a big batch (double the proportions in the recipe) and freeze them individually.
More savoury muffin recipes
Check out also this collection of 18 healthy, easy vegetable breakfast recipes.
Savory Corn Muffins with Leek & Cheese
- 1 small/medium leek finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons sweetcorn I used tinned
- 40 g mature cheddar grated
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup semi-skimmed milk (low fat)
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus 1 tablespoon
- Pinch of sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Lightly grease (or line with cupcake cases) a small muffin tray (for 6 muffins).
- In a medium frying pan heat up 1 tablespoon of oil, add the leek, season, lower the heat and fry for 2 minutes stirring often. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal and baking powder, season, stir well and set aside.
- Whisk together the egg and oil. Add the milk and stir well. Add the cheese, leek, sweetcorn and stir thoroughly. Add the dry mixture and stir to combine (don't overstir).
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups and bake for 20-25 minutes. Yields 6 muffins.