This nutritious, creamy vegetarian lentil lasagna contains 2 types of lentils as well as a bit of ‘hidden’ kale. It is super easy to make, hearty and filling and above all – delicious!
This vegetarian lentil lasagna contains a moderate amount of cheese so it’s low in fat yet fantastically rich and creamy thanks to the lentil filling. It contains a handful of ingredients so preparation is very quick and uncomplicated.
What lentils to use in vegetarian lasagna with kale
I used a combination of red and green puy lentils (ordinary green lentils will do too). The red lentils add richness and thicken the sauce while the green lentils keep their shape throughout cooking adding texture.
This combination of green and red lentils creates quite a ‘meaty’ filling, and you won’t miss the real thing!
Lentils are a super convenient ingredient as they do not need pre-soaking or precooking. Simply stir into the sauce together with the other ingredients and cook until soft (see Instructions).
How to make the filling for lentil lasagna with kale
In a large pan heat up the oil, add the bay leaf, garlic and onions and cook gently for about 3 minutes. Add the lentils, spices, seasoning, kale, chopped tomatoes and passata as well as 2/3 of the water.
Cover and let the mixture simmer away for about 40 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and the red lentils are fully cooked. Don’t forget to stir the mixture often to prevent it sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Stir in the parmesan cheese, add the rest of the water and make your bechamel sauce.
How to make easy bechamel
Once the lentil sauce is ready make the white (bechamel) sauce. For this vegetarian lasagne I have adapted my 3-ingredient simple white sauce recipe. It takes minutes to prepare.
In a saucepan melt the butter, add the corn flour and whisk together until smooth. Pour in the milk, increase the heat and whisk until the sauce thickens and starts bubbling up. Remove from the oven, season lightly and spoon over the lasagne (see below).
This sauce will thicken as it stands. If that happens simply add a drop of milk.
How to make lentil kale lasagna
You can now put the lasagne together.
Lightly grease the bottom of your lasagne dish (20 cm x 30 cm) and cover with 3 lasagne sheets. Add half of the sauce, smooth out and cover with 3 more lasagne sheets. Create another layer of sauce and lasagne sheets, sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the top, pour over the white sauce and bake in a preheated oven for one hour. Half way through cover loosely with paper to prevent the lasagne browning too much.
See Instructions below for more detail.
What other spices can I use
I only used oregano and paprika but you can also use basil or thyme if you like. Use a combination of these spices or just one of them. Entirely up to you.
More vegetarian pasta casseroles
Check out also this collection of over 12 healthy vegetarian pasta meals.
Lentil Lasagna with Kale
- 9 lasagna sheets
For the lasagna filling
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed
- 1/2 cup green puy lentils or ordinary green lentils
- 100 g kale finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1x400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 500 g tomato passata
- 60 g each: coarsely grated parmesan and mature cheddar cheese ensure the parmesan is vegetarian
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp each: dried oregano and paprika
- 2/3 tbsp coarse sea salt plus plenty of pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil plus 1 tbsp for greasing the lasagna dish
- 1.5 cup water
For the white sauce
- 1.5 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1/2 cup semi-skimmed milk/low fat
- In a large pan heat up the oil, add the bay leaf, garlic and onion and fry for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the lentils, kale, tomatoes and passata, seasoning and spices, as well as 2/3 of the water, stir and cover. Simmer for about 40 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and the red lentils are fully cooked, stirring often. Remove from the heat, stir in the parmesan, add the rest of the water and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F/ 190 C/ gas mark 5. Grease the bottom of a rectangular lasagne dish (approx. 20 cm x 30 cm) with 1 tablespoon of oil. Set aside.
- To make the white sauce in a saucepan melt the butter over a medium heat, add the corn flour and whisk quickly until smooth. Pour in the milk, increase the heat and whisk until the sauce thickens and starts bubbling up. Remove from the heat, season lightly and set
- Assemble the lasagne. Cover the bottom of the lasagne dish with 3 lasagne sheets. Pour in half of the lentil sauce and smooth out. Place 3 more lasagne sheets over the top pressing in gently and cover with the rest of the sauce. Cover with the 3 remaining sheets, press gently, sprinkle the cheddar cheese and pour over the white sauce.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 1 hour. Half way through cover the lasagne loosely with paper to prevent it browning too much.
- Remove from the oven, set aside for 5 minutes and serve.
Pin Lentil Lasagna with Kale