These delicious Curried Beluga Lentils Recipe with Vegetables can be enjoyed as a side or vegan/vegetarian main dish. Delicious with either rice, quinoa or couscous.
CURRIED BELUGA LENTILS RECIPE WITH VEGETABLES
Beluga lentils are a little larger and rounder than other lentils and are black and shiny, which makes them look more like beans. They are in fact a great substitute for small varieties of beans, with an added bonus. There is no need to soak them first, which makes beluga lentils a quick and easy to prepare ingredient.
Beluga lentils hold their shape well, add colour, soft pleasant texture and mildly nutty flavour to any dish. They are full of character and add plenty of it to this simple Curried Beluga Lentils Recipe with Vegetables.
If you like this recipe you may also enjoy this Imam Bayildi Burgers with Puy Lentils.
LIGHTLY CURRIED BELUGA LENTILS WITH VEGETABLES
I like my recipes to be simple and practical so in this black beluga lentils recipe I used only the most popular curry spices. There is cumin, turmeric and coriander, plus a few others, such as cinnamon and nutmeg which I think work really well with both the curry spices and the coconut oil.
RELATED POST: Petits Pois Tofu Vegan Curry
This recipe can be enjoyed as a vegan main dish, served with either rice, naan bread or quinoa. It can also be a side dish, served alongside other dishes if you are cooking for a larger group of people. This recipe is dairy and gluten free, very low in fat (only 2 tablespoons of coconut oil), and if you make a large enough batch it can also be enjoyed the next day.
Curried Beluga Lentils Recipe with Vegetables
- 1/2 cup beluga lentils
- 3 medium/large tomatoes chopped
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger root finely chopped
- 1 celery stick finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 red pepper seeds removed, roughly chopped
- 2/3 tablespoon coarse sea salt plus plenty of pepper
- 1/4 cup water ± 2 tbs depending on how thick you want the sauce to be
- 4 tablespoons cilantro coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon each cumin seeds coriander seeds, turmeric
- 1/3 teaspoon each cinnamon nutmeg
- 6 green cardamom pods
- In a pan toast the coriander and cumin seeds for a couple of minutes stirring constantly. Grind them to a powder in a pestle and mortar and set aside.
- In a pot heat up the coconut oil, add the bay leaf, ginger, garlic, stir and add all the spices. Stir and cook for a minute or so on a medium heat. Add the lentils, celery, tomatoes, tomato paste and the pepper, season and stir thoroughly. Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the water half way through cooking. Serve with fresh coriander.
Pin this Curried Beluga Lentils Recipe with Vegetables
MORE EASY, HEALTHY MEAL IDEAS
Here you will find all my easy meal recipe ideas in one place. Or you can browse the different categories: chicken, turkey, fish and vegetarian/vegan. The categories also include gluten free and dairy free options.