This quick low carb chicken noodle soup with spiralized vegetables contains a mixture of vegetable noodles and wheat vermicelli. So it is not only full of goodness but also satisfying. It’s the perfect healthy comfort food!
Low Carb Chicken Noodle Soup
This low carb chicken noodle soup contains half the usual amount of noodles. The other half consists of easy to make vegetable noodles.
The addition of the veggie noodles means that this soup has half the calories of a typical chicken noodle soup. The proportions used in this recipe make enough soup to feed 4 hungry chicken noodle soup fans and no one will complain there are not enough noodles (even though you’ll only need to use 3 vermicelli nests).
So if you want a lower calorie dish that’s still satisfying then this healthy chicken noodle soup is for you!
I rarely use stock cubes in my recipes but I made an exception in this one. Because the spiralized vegetables are added toward the end of cooking I wanted to ensure the chicken was full of flavour. Which is why I decided to pop a couple of vegetable stock cubes into the pot to add more flavour to the broth.
I also added a bit of turmeric and fenugreek to this chicken noodle soup. The former to add more colour and the latter for more depth and richness of flavour. Fenugreek is a very intense, rich tasting spice, which adds a kind of ‘umami‘ or ‘savoury’ effect to dishes. (See for example my Turkey Meatballs with Butternut Squash Spaghetti). Used sparingly, it can really lift the flavour of your dish (and it doesn’t have to be a curry:).
Both of these are optional.
How to make healthy chicken soup from scratch
This soup essentially consists of an easy chicken stock from scratch and noodles made separately and then added into the stock.
To make the chicken stock place the chicken in a pot, add the water and bring to boil. Remove the white residue that will appear on top, then add in the bay leaf, allspice, stock cubes and parsley and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
In the meantime spiralize the vegetables and cook the wheat vermicelli (according to packet instructions).
The final step is putting it all together. Remove the chicken from the pot, separate the meat from the bone, place the meat back in and add the spices (optional). Add in the veggie noodles (not the zucchini) and cook for about 5 minutes. Then add the zucchini, remove from the heat and your soup is ready to serve!
I recommend adding the vermicelli into the pot just before serving (it will get mushy if you leave it in the pot for a while). Alternatively add small amounts into individual portions.
How to adapt this recipe
This healthy chicken soup can be easily adapted to suit your preference. You can use less vegetables than I have or swap them for different ones. Butternut squash would be a good vegetable to swap with carrot (using both might make the soup too sweet). You could also use different herbs for garnish. I used parsley and dill but chives or cilantro would work well too.
More chicken soup recipes
If you are looking for a more traditional chicken noodle soup here is one I make quite frequently – chicken vegetable rosol soup. Check out also this sweet potato chicken mulligatawny soup with spinach.
Low Carb Chicken Noodle Soup with Spiralized Vegetables
- 3 chicken thighs skinless
- 1 medium carrot peeled
- 1 small zucchini courgette
- A piece of celeriac the size of a medium potato, peeled
- 1 small turnip/swede the size of a small potato, peeled
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 5 cups water
- 3 thin vermicelli nests
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole allspice
- 1/3 teaspoon each fenugreek and turmeric powders, optional
- Handful of fresh parsley
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs ex. dill, parsley for garnish
- In a large pot combine the chicken with the water, cover and bring to boil. Once bubbles start appearing lower the heat to a simmer, skim foam, add the stock cubes, a handful of fresh parsley, bay leaf and allspice, cover and continue simmering for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime boil the vermicelli in salted water (approx. 3 minutes), strain and set aside.
- Spiralize the celeriac, carrot, turnip and zucchini (place the spiralized zucchini in a separate bowl) and set aside.
- After 30 minutes of cooking remove the parsley (do not remove the soup from the heat), place the chicken on a plate/cutting board, separate the meat from the bone and put the meat back in the pot.
- Add the fenugreek and turmeric, celeriac, turnip and carrot and continue simmering for 5 minutes (you might have to bring the soup to the boil again after you've added the vegetables and then lower the heat to a simmer). Add the zoodles (zucchini), stir, remove from the heat and season to taste.
- If you plan to serve the soup straight away add the vermicelli into the pot. Alternatively add small amounts to individual soup portions (if you leave the vermicelli in the pot it will become soft and mushy). Serve with a sprinkling of fresh herbs.
Pin Low Carb Chicken Noodle Soup with Spiralized Vegetables!