This Healthy Creamy Spinach Chicken is a quick and delicious meal idea the whole family will enjoy! It is made without any cream (not even the ‘skinny’ kind) and comes together in under 15 minutes.
Low fat creamy chicken
Most of us love creamy sauces but not necessarily the calories they usually contain. So is it possible to make a rich and deliciously creamy sauce without adding any cream, butter or eggs to it?
One hundred percent yes!
All you have to do is swap the heavy cream for some naturally low fat and super delicious fromage frais (also known as fromage blanc cheese). This ingredient tastes similar to sour cream and creme fraiche but contains less fat. It makes an amazing sauce ingredient as it doesn’t curdle! Both chicken and spinach are quite bland ingredients so a little bit of sourness really lifts the flavour of this dish.
Fromage Frais is ideal in this Healthy Creamy Spinach Chicken!
How to make creamy spinach chicken
This is a one-pot dish that cooks incredibly quickly using only a handful of ingredients. Everything is done in a skillet. Start by frying the chicken for a few minutes. Then transfer the chicken into a bowl and fry the garlic and spinach in the same skillet. Combine with fromage frais and puree. Heat up the creamy spinach sauce again, add the chicken, cheese and warm through. This dish tastes fantastic with golden fried garlic slices scattered over the top!
As the sauce contains some parmesan cheese, which is quite salty, I recommend adding the seasoning (if any) after you’ve added the parmesan. You may only want to add pepper.
Remember that chicken cooks very quickly so 4 minutes should be enough. You can always cook it a little longer once you’ve added it into the sauce (if your chicken pieces are quite large).
This easy creamy chicken tastes delicious with pasta!
I would love to know whether you’ve made this recipe and how it turned out! Please leave a comment below. Thanks!
If you like this easy spinach chicken recipe you might also like this Stuffed Chicken Breast with Spinach, Almond and Quinoa. Both recipes are gluten free!
Healthy Creamy Spinach Chicken
- 2 large or 3 small skinless chicken breasts approx. 500 g, cut into small chunks
- 120 g fresh spinach
- 4 garlic cloves sliced
- 160 g fromage frais
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 20 g parmesan or similar, finely grated
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Heat up 3 tablespoons of the oil in the skillet, add the chicken and fry over a high heat for about 4 minutes, turning over once or twice. Using a slotted spoon lift the chicken out and place in a bowl (do not switch the heat off or remove the juices from the pan).
- Fry half the garlic in the same skillet (no need to add oil as there'll be plenty of juices leftover from frying the meat) for about a minute, stirring often, then add the spinach and continue cooking stirring all the time until the spinach wilts. Add the fromage frais, stir and transfer the mixture into a blender.
- Puree the spinach sauce, pour back into the skillet, add the parmesan and heat up again stirring until the cheese has melted. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- Add in the chicken pieces and heat up to warm through.
- In another small pan heat up the remaining oil and fry the remaining garlic stirring all the time until lightly browned (take care not to burn it). Drizzle over the chicken and serve with pasta or quinoa.
Pin Healthy Creamy Spinach Chicken!