I have created these Low Fat Egg Salad Breakfast Burritos with Beans and Quinoa with Recipe Redux in mind – this month’s challenge was to come up with a savoury, dinner inspired, protein packed breakfast idea. I love savoury breakfasts (see my own recent breakfast recipe roundup – although not just savoury, all the recipes were made with vegetables) and find them generally more satisfying than ones which use sweet ingredients, so this challenge was right up my street!
This recipe has elements of lunch, dinner and breakfast – most of the ingredients can be used at any meal with the exception of eggs perhaps, which are typically eaten at breakfast. The combination of eggs, beans and quinoa screams protein, making this recipe a fabulously satisfying vegetarian breakfast.
If you prepare some of the ingredients ahead these burritos will only take a few minutes to put together. When it comes to quinoa my usual advice is to cook it ahead (the night before) and keep in the fridge until you are ready to use it (this method worked well with my recent Caribbean Turkey Quinoa Patties). Eggs, once boiled, can also be kept in the fridge (unpeeled) overnight.
A few words about the fat content of these breakfast burritos. The rich, creamy texture of the filling is a combination of full fat mayo and Skyr, which is fat free – so the overall amount of fat is quite moderate, without compromising on flavour. If you can’t find Skyr where you are use Greek yogurt or another rich tasting type of yogurt instead.
I am linking up my Low Fat Egg Salad Breakfast Burritos with Beans and Quinoa to Recipe Redux – do visit the link and take a look at some of the other delicious savoury breakfast ideas:)
Yields 4 portions
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 2 large wheat wraps
- 4 large eggs, hard boiled, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Skyr (or Greek yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons full fat mayonnaise
- 1.5 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- ½ x 400g tin red kidney beans, drained, rinsed under cold water
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 50 g mature cheddar (or other strong cheese), grated
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onions, finely chopped
- Sea salt and pepper to taste (be generous with the pepper)
- Combine all the filling ingredients, stir thoroughly and spoon half of the mixture in a line onto the middle of each tortilla.
- Wrap tightly burrito-style and cut each burrito in half.
Preparation time does not include the time needed to chill the quinoa.