This simple, low in fat easy mushroom and chicken casserole is a delicious and versatile dinner idea. It can be served with either rice, potatoes or pasta. It’s a healthy dish the whole family will enjoy!
So how did I make this mushroom and chicken casserole low-fat?
Well, first of all, I didn’t add double or even single cream. Instead, I used a bit of olive oil, semi-skimmed milk and another ingredient that’s currently quite high on my list of the most fabulous ingredients ever – Skyr. (See my Butternut Squash Vegetarian Chilli post, where I go out of my way to convince everyone to buy Skyr NOW.) This fermented Icelandic yogurt type product also happens to be at the top of my favourite dairy products list. I use it in something practically everyday. It made perfect sense to use it in this healthy chicken casserole as it’s fat free. I also think it really enhances the flavour of the mushroom sauce.
If Greek yogurt is more your thing, however, use that, though keep in mind 100 g of Greek yogurt contains 10 g of fat. Alternatively you can also use fromage frais. Not to be confused with creme fraiche, fromage frais is low in fat, tastes a bit like sour cream and won’t curdle during cooking!
I did add a tablespoon of butter to the sauce at the end but it’s an optional ingredient and you can omit it.
Prepping the mushrooms
I used 2 types of mushrooms to make a healthy mushroom sauce for this casserole: closed cup and porcini. Porcini mushrooms have a very strong flavour so you will only need about 10 g of these. (Which also makes this dish relatively inexpensive). Even this small amount of porcinis will enhance the flavour and add depth to this sauce (without making it heavy).
How to assemble the recipe
I boiled the porcinis for 20 minutes to allow them to release lots of flavour. In the meantime I fried the closed cup mushrooms very briefly to brown them. Then I made a quick sauce, added all the mushrooms to it, seasoned and poured the mixture over the chicken pieces (see full Instructions below). I then simply baked the chicken and mushroom casserole for 30 minutes! All the steps in this recipe are very uncomplicated and easy to follow.
Enjoy this healthy chicken casserole with mushrooms alongside rice, potatoes or even pasta. It goes equally well with all of these sides. Serve with freshly chopped parsley. Enjoy!
More mushroom recipes
Check out also this other easy healthy mushroom sauce recipe I shared a while ago. I also used a combination of regular and porcini mushrooms in this dairy free Creamy Mushroom Potato Soup recipe. You might also like these healthy meatballs in mushroom sauce.
Check out also this collection of 13 healthy, easy ope pot chicken recipes!
Easy Mushroom and Chicken Casserole (Healthy)
- 200 g closed cup mushrooms roughly chopped
- 10 g porcini mushrooms
- 500 g chicken breast skinless, sliced into 3-4 long strips each
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 level tablespoon flour
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt/Skyr/or fromage frais
- 1/3 cup semi-skimmed milk
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter optional
- 1 level teaspoon each fine sea salt and white pepper
- Rinse the porcini mushrooms and soak in 1/2 cup water (in a small saucepan) for 20 minutes. Cover the saucepan (do NOT drain the water), bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Set aside reserving the water.
- Using either a griddle pan or a large non-stick pan fry the mushrooms over a high heat (with a drizzle of oil) for 2-3 minutes NOT stirring too much to allow them to brown a little. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. You will need a medium oven dish.
- While the porcini mushrooms are cooking start preparing the sauce. In a large frying pan heat up the oil, add the onion and fry for a couple of minutes over a medium/low heat stirring often.
- Add the wine and continue cooking for another 2 minutes. Add the flour and stir until it's no longer visible. Add the milk, stir well and cook until the mixture has thickened. Remove from the heat, add the yogurt, porcini mushrooms (including the water from the cooking), closed cup mushrooms, butter (optional), seasoning and stir well.
- Place the chicken strips in the baking dish, pour over the mushroom sauce (ensuring all the meat has been covered) and bake for about 30 minutes (cooking times can vary so ensure the meat is cooked through before serving, but try not to overcook it). Remove from the oven, garnish with fresh parsley and serve with rice, quinoa, potatoes or pasta.
Pin Easy Mushroom and Chicken Casserole (Healthy)