Recipe Redux is celebrating its 6th birthday and to mark the occasion this month’s challenge is to create a healthy small bite dessert. I have chosen to make super easy and healthy, 3-ingredient-only (if you don’t count the nutty coating mixture) Mango Cheesecake Bites.
When it comes to making cake bites/energy balls there is lots of room for creativity. The flavour combinations are practically inexhaustible so you can mix and match to suit your personal taste. The biggest trick is to get the texture right – it should be neither too soft nor too thick. The proportions I used produce a thick, rich mixture that’s easy to work with and you won’t need more than 5 minutes to form these cute little Mango Cheesecake Bites (the mixture won’t stick to your hands if you sprinkle some water on them).
I used baked mangoes in this recipe, but I seem to remember buying dried mangoes in the past, so not sure if it’s the same product (they look the same to me) and whether ‘baked’ is just a new, more ‘trendy’ way of referring to dried mangoes. Anyway, the mangoes need to be basically dehydrated so either baked and dried will do.
For the coating I used a mixture of chopped pistachios and almonds but you can use any nuts or seeds – I can’t think of any that wouldn’t work in this recipe.
These simple little Mango Cheesecake Bites have no added sugar as the mangoes are a very sweet fruit (when you are buying your dried/baked mangoes look for a brand that has no added sugar), so this is a very healthy dessert, which is perfect as an after-school snack or as a little something to satisfy your sugar cravings.
I hope you like the recipe! Let me know what you think in the comments below:)
Do check out all the other healthy small bite dessert recipes shared at Recipe Redux!
Happy 6th Birthday, Recipe Redux!
If you like this recipe you may also like my Prune, Nut and Chocolate Energy Balls!
I am bringing this recipe to #CookBlogShare, which I have the pleasure of hosting this week! If you’ve got a recipe join the party! I comment on ALL the recipes and share them across all social media:)
Yields 14 bite size balls
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- 160 g dried/baked mangoes
- 190 g cream cheese
- 120 g ground almonds
- Crushed nuts/seeds of your choice for coating
- Place the mangoes in a blender and blend until the mixture is crumb-like with larger bits visible. Add the cream cheese and the ground almonds and puree (you can do this in a bowl using a hand blender) until the mixture is smooth.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Scatter the nut/seed mixture on a large plate and set aside.
- Remove the mixture from the fridge and form balls (if you sprinkle water on your hands the mixture won't stick to them) and roll in the nut/seed mixture. Yields approximately 14 balls.
- Keep in the fridge.
Preparation time does not include the time needed to refrigerate the mixture (see Instructions)