This sweet and nutty Maple Celery Root Salad with Apple and Pecans is a delicious lunch idea to enjoy in early autumn.
This Maple Celery Root Salad with Apple and Pecans owes its existence to a knobbly, grey and sad looking vegetable hardly anyone buys or attempts to cook with. Celery root (or celeriac)! Well, I like a challenge so I bought it. As it turns out, this underdog of the vegetable world (currently in season) has more flavour than we’d expect. ‘Don’t judge a book by its cover’ springs to mind. It makes a delicious addition to an autumn salad.
That’s if you cut it into matchsticks, coat in a bit of maple syrup and roast in the oven for 20 minutes. I did just that and discovered just how delicious celery root can be. If you’ve never used this vegetable because it looks so unappealing or because you had no idea how to prepare celery root try this method. You’ll be surprised by the fantastic results! It was a spur of the moment idea and I really didn’t expect it to be such a success:).
More celery root recipe ideas
If you love roasted celery root recipes you might like this Roasted Celery Root Dip with Horseradish. It’s another fantastic autumnal recipe idea. Also, did you know that celery root can be spiralized? Check out my easy Root Vegetable Nests recipe!
I chose to also use apple in this recipe to create a truly autumnal salad. (Autumn is just around the corner and the air already smells differently than it did a month ago). The sourness of the apple and the sweet nutty flavour of the celery root are just delicious together so the dressing doesn’t need to be complicated. A mere drizzle of oil and lemon juice will suffice. Add a handful of arugula, sprinkle some lightly toasted pecans and you’ll have a super healthy, sweet and nutty tasting autumn treat that’s bursting with flavour. This Maple Celery Root Salad with Apple and Pecans is better than dessert!
More maple pecan recipes
Check out also this collection of 15+ easy vegan salads for even more salad inspiration!
Maple Celery Root Salad with Apple and Pecans
- ½ large celery root celeriac
- 1 granny smith apple
- ½ cup pecans lightly toasted
- 2 handfuls rocket rucola leaves
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon olive/vegetable oil plus 2 more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 F/ 230 C/ gas mark 8. You will need a medium baking tray.
- Peel the celery root and cut into matchsticks. In a large bowl combine the maple syrup with 1 tablespoon of oil, add the celery root and season. Stir thoroughly until all the pieces are evenly coated in the maple mixture. Tip onto the baking tray and spread evenly in a single layer. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the celery root is in the oven prepare the other salad ingredients. Combine the remaining oil with the lemon juice and set aside. Decore the apple and cut into thin wedges (or cubes).
- To assemble the salad place the rocket leaves, apple pieces, pecans and roasted celery root (hot or cold) in a bowl, season to taste, drizzle with the oil/lemon juice mixture and serve.
Pin this Maple Celery Root Salad with Apple and Pecans recipe!
MORE EASY SALAD RECIPES
Check out my collection of easy, healthy and delicious salad recipes!