These easy to make, fun and Healthy Mashed Potatoes with Spinach & Mushrooms are a delicious side dish, perfect for entertaining. Double the ingredients and make a large batch!
These Healthy Mashed Potatoes with Spinach & Mushrooms are a really simple recipe idea but it works!
Mashed potatoes are probably the least popular side dish in my house. The main complaint is that they are boring and I find it hard to disagree. So to save them from extinction I’ve decided to liven them up a bit by adding spinach to the mash and serving it with large flat mushrooms.
It only takes a few extra minutes to transform a tired old mash into an exciting, tasty and nutritious side dish. I chose large flat mushrooms as they act as little edible ‘plates’ for the mash, and are also quite decorative. Which is handy if you are hosting a party and need a quick and easy side dish that’s a bit more special.
Best potatoes to use in this recipe
I recommend either Maris Piper, Rooster, Marabel or Vivaldi varieties as they are all great for mashing. If you live in North America a good option is Idaho or another variety that’s starchy and not waxy.
Prepping the spinach
Spinach cooks very quickly, literally in seconds, so just heat fry it briefly in a little oil and once wilted, puree until smooth. Spinach will release quite a bit of water as it heats up so be sure to strain it before pureeing. (A small amount of water to leave in the mixture is fine)
Prepping the mushrooms
The mushrooms need to be fried briefly in a little oil and seasoned before they are ready to serve. Fry them over a high heat so they have a chance to brown without getting soggy. If however they do release lots of water cook them a little longer until the water has evaporated. Don’t forget to season the mushrooms as they cook.
How to make really fluffy mashed potatoes
There are two main steps involved. First of all, your potatoes will need a bit of fat and moisture. So you could add cream, butter or cream cheese, or a splash of milk for example. And secondly, you have to mash the potatoes using a potato masher, not a fork. Do this really thoroughly, until there are no lumps left and the mixture is fluffy.
If I am making plain mashed potatoes I tend to use a combination of butter and milk, but in this recipe the spinach has replaced the milk. After you’ve added it to the mash be sure to mix it in well using a potato masher.
What can I use for garnish other than parmesan
No, you don’t! Sprinkling grated parmesan over the dish is optional, especially if you want to keep the calories down (this dish is very low in fat as I only used 1 tablespoon of butter and no cream). Scatter some fresh herbs, such as chives or parsley, instead if you like.
More easy potato recipes perfect for entertaining
Healthy Mashed Potatoes with Spinach & Mushrooms
- 5 medium potatoes peeled, cut into quarters
- 130 g fresh spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1/3 teaspoon onion granules
- 3 tablespoons parmesan, finely grated, or freshly chopped chives/parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- Olive oil for frying
- 5-6 large flat mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes in salted water with the bay leaf, drain, add the butter and mash until smooth (discard the bay leaf).
- Heat up about 1 tablespoon of oil and add the spinach, stirring constantly until it wilts without allowing it to cook (this should take no longer than a minute). Remove some of the water and puree. Add the mixture to the mashed potatoes, sprinkle with the onion and garlic granules, season and combine using a potato masher. Mash thoroughly until the mixture becomes fluffy.
- Fry the mushrooms in a little oil over a high heat for a couple of minutes on each side. If the mushrooms become soggy rather than brown continue frying them until all the water has evaporated. Sprinkle a little parmesan (optional) over each mushroom and top with a scoop of the mashed potato mixture. Sprinkle more parmesan or fresh herbs over the top. Serve immediately.
Pin Healthy Mashed Potatoes with Spinach & Mushrooms
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing this mashed potatoes with spinach recipe to Tasty Tuesdays.