These mocha overnight oats contain two essential breakfast ingredients – coffee and oats. With this easy recipe you can enjoy a delicious, healthy breakfast no matter how hectic your mornings are.
If you are the type of person who often skips breakfast but cannot start the day without your morning coffee than you should try these mocha overnight oats. Coffee and porridge in one dish! Plus chocolate! And it’s all healthy, low in sugar and high in protein.
Simply throw all the ingredients together the night before and enjoy a bowl of breakfast deliciousness the next day. So no more excuses – it is possible to have breakfast no matter how hectic your mornings are. This is a great recipe for coffee and chocolate lovers. Busy coffee and chocolate lovers!
Mocha overnight oats
Overnight oats are not only very convenient but when it comes to flavour combinations possibilities are endless. As it’s a breakfast recipe it seemed perfectly sensible to add coffee to it. And since coffee tastes so fantastic with a bit of chocolate I thought it’d be a good idea to pair it with cocoa.
Creamy overnight oats
I also used ricotta cheese to make this healthy breakfast mocha recipe creamy and rich tasting without adding too many calories. (Ricotta contains less fat than cream cheese, mozzarella and certainly much less than mascarpone, so think of it as a slightly more calorific yogurt).
How much sugar to add to chocolate overnight oats
This depends on personal preference. I wanted these oats to be moderately sweet so 1 teaspoon of honey was enough for me. You can add more, or replace the honey with agave or maple syrup, if you like.
Another way of adding more (natural) sweetness to this recipe is serving it with chunks of banana and roasted hazelnuts!
What you will need
Large bowl and spoon
Measuring cup and spoon
Jar or bowl for storing overnight oats
How to make mocha overnight oats: step-by-step
1. Dissolve the coffee granules in the milk. 2. In another bowl combine the oats with the cocoa (or cacao).
3. Add the maple syrup and ricotta. 4. Stir thoroughly, cover and refrigerate overnight.
Use jumbo rolled oats, NOT instant oats.
Use either regular instant coffee or decaf.
I used maple syrup but honey or agave syrup are good alternatives. Adjust the amount to suit your preference.
I tend to use cacao in my recipes as it’s a little healthier than cocoa but it’s perfectly ok to use either. You might also like this collection of 27 everyday healthy cacao recipes.
You can use yogurt instead of ricotta but bear in mind the yogurt will add a little tang to the flavour (ricotta isn’t tangy).
Overnight oats can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
More overnight oats recipes
If overnight oats is your thing you might enjoy my Poppy Seed Overnight Oats recipe I posted a few weeks ago. You might also like these Strawberry Peanut Butter Overnight Oats. Check out also these Cherry Cocoa Overnight Oats.
KEEP IN TOUCH
I’d love to know how your mocha overnight oats turned out for you. Let me know in the comments below, thanks!
Mocha Overnight Oats (Chocolate & Coffee)
- 1/2 cup jumbo rolled oats not instant
- 1 tsp instant coffee regular or decaf
- 1/2 cup semi-skimmed milk/light milk
- 1.5 tsp cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 heaped tablespoon ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp maple syrup/honey or agave syrup add more if you like
- Combine the milk with the coffee and stir until the coffee is fully dissolved.
- In a bowl or jar combine the oats with the cocoa powder and stir thoroughly. Add the milk mixture, honey and cheese and stir thoroughly. Cover with cling film (or close the lid if you are using a jar) and leave in the fridge overnight. Makes 1 large portion.
- Serving suggestions: serve with lightly roasted crushed hazelnuts and/or chopped up banana.
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am sharing this chocolate coffee mocha oats recipe with Saucy Saturdays.