These spiced healthy chicken kebabs can be made in a griddle pan as well as al fresco. They are an all-season delicious, low fat recipe, perfect for entertaining as well as a family meal idea.
These aromatic Moroccan Spiced Chicken Kebabs are super easy to prepare (the only ingredient that requires chopping is the chicken!). And if you double the ingredients you’ll be able to feed a crowd.
I always associate Moroccan spices with hot weather and delicious food and the best way to celebrate these is by enjoying an al fresco meal in the back garden!
Marinating the chicken
The marinade takes seconds to make! Simply combine the yogurt, oil, spices and seasoning and stir. I used garlic and onion granules so there is no chopping involved. I didn’t want any extra moisture (from the onion) in the marinade mixture which is why I decided against using fresh onion and garlic. Plus garlic and onion powders have an intense flavour, which was exactly what I needed for my marinade.
The chicken needs to be left in the yogurt marinade for at least 4 hours, ideally overnight so this recipe is perfect for busy people who like to enjoy great food. Simply marinate the chicken the night before or in the morning and enjoy a quick and delicious meal later!
How to cook chicken kebabs
Cooking times may vary depending on the size of your chicken pieces and whether the kebabs are barbecued or cooked in a griddle pan. I think the griddle pan method is a little quicker (though admittedly not as fun). Try not to allow the chicken to brown too quickly – it needs time to cook through. I recommend cooking it over a medium heat, turning often so it cooks evenly.
If you like this recipe you may also like my Perfectly Crispy Spiced Chicken which also used Moroccan spices.
These healthy chicken kebabs can be served with rice, crispy salad or in wraps, with a nice dip. Try my refreshing minty guacamole I made for a salmon recipe a few months ago. They are fantastic served with this Cauliflower Pomegranate Salad with Yogurt Dressing as well as this zesty Cauliflower Rice Tabbouleh with Pomegranate.
What to do with healthy chicken kebabs leftovers
This is one of those recipes that taste delicious the next day too, so if you’ve got leftovers – great! Because you can combine the chicken with either pasta, quinoa or rice and enjoy it as a filling salad for lunch. Or you could chop it up, add some yogurt, chopped spring onions and make a quick chicken salad sandwich. Or simply enjoy it as a cold snack, alongside a dip. A refreshing minty guacamole or healthy ranch dip are both good option. This easy Eggplant Tomato Dip would also be a good choice.
Healthy Yogurt Chicken Kebabs with Moroccan Spices
- 4 medium chicken breasts, skinless, chopped into similar size chunks
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt/Skyr
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus a little more for grilling
- 1 tsp each: cumin and paprika powders
- 1/2 tsp each: fine sea salt, onion and garlic granules and ground coriander
- 1/3 tsp each: cayenne pepper and ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp each: ground allspice and cinnamon
- In a large bowl combine the yogurt, 1 tablespoon of the oil, all the spices and stir. Place the chicken pieces in the marinade, stir thoroughly and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Prepare the chicken skewers (don't thread the pieces too close to one another). You will need about 6 medium skewers.
- If you are using a griddle pan heat up 1-2 tablespoons of the oil and grill the chicken over a medium heat for about 8-10 minutes (or until cooked through) turning often. The kebabs can also be barbecued. Serve with rice, crispy salad or in wraps.
Pin Healthy Yogurt Chicken Kebabs with Moroccan Spices!