This simple Healthy Tomato Bean Pasta Bake is a super easy to make and delicious healthy vegetarian weeknight dinner idea.
You don’t have to be a vegetarian to enjoy soya beans! They are sweet and nutty and delicious and so good for you too. They taste fabulous in this simple bean pasta bake full of sweet and smoky paprika notes.
If you do a little bit of preparation this dish can be put together in only about 35 minutes. Simply soak the soya beans overnight and then cook them according to package instructions. Once cooled they can be kept in the fridge (for up to 3 days) until you are ready to use them.
Soya beans are a fantastic ingredient, with a lovely nutty flavour and crunchy texture – they won’t get mushy like beans occasionally do! If you have never tried soya beans before (they aren’t always easy to find) I strongly recommend you look for them in your supermarket.
It is important to cook the pasta aldente so it doesn’t come out of the oven too soft and mushy. To save time prepare the sauce while the pasta is cooking. The sauce is very simple and comes together in only about 10 minutes – after 20 minutes in the oven your dish will be ready to serve!
A note regarding the sauce: I only blitzed it briefly in order to break up the larger veggie pieces rather than puree it completely, but it can be pureed if you prefer that consistency.
Healthy Tomato Bean Pasta Bake
- 3 cups pasta, cooked al dente, fusilli or penne work well
- 1 cup cooked soya beans, soaked overnight then cooked according to packaging instructions
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
For the sauce
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp olive oil for frying, plus a little more for drizzling
- 3 tbsp white wine
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika, plus 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 2/3 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 F/ 190 C/ gas mark 5.
- While the pasta is cooking prepare the sauce. heat up the oil and fry the onion and garlic over a medium heat for a couple of minutes, then add the tomatoes, red pepper, parsley, tomato puree and wine. Stir, cover and cook for about 5-6 minutes. Remove from the heat, add seasoning, spices and the butter. Stir.
- Blitz the sauce until the larger pieces are broken up (do not puree completely). Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- Place the pasta in a medium size oven dish, cover with soya beans.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and soya beans stirring a little to combine with the pasta and beans. Sprinkle with the cheese and drizzle with a little oil. Bake for 20 minutes.
Pin Healthy Tomato Bean Pasta Bake!
Recipe link parties
I am bringing Healthy Tomato Bean Pasta Bake to #CookBlogShare, hosted this week by Kirsty@Hijacked By Twins. If you’ve got a recipe why not link it up too and share with the rest of the blogging community!