This Peanut Hoisin Zoodle Chicken makes a delicious and healthy family meal – it’s made with wholewheat noodles, lean chicken, is low in fat and salt (it contains only 3 tablespoons of light soy sauce and 1.5 tablespoons Hoisin sauce) and includes seasonal zucchini (courgette) – the shops are bursting with it at the moment and I find myself thinking of new ways of using zoodles more than ever before.
When it comes to zucchini I find that spirilizing is one of the best ways of preparing it and in a recipe involving noodles spirilizing it is simply ideal. I decided against using zoodles alone and chose to combine them with a bit of regular noodles (the healthier kind!) to create a more substantial meal that would appeal to children as well as adults. Zoodles are fun to eat and my own children, who aren’t very keen on zucchini, have never refused to eat a dish with zoodles in it!
(If your children are quite young, however, you may want to use less chilli flakes if they aren’t used to spicy food).
This dish requires a bit of preparation but the cooking itself takes minutes. The good thing is that while the chicken is marinating (it only needs about 30 minutes in the marinade) you can prepare the rest of the ingredients – ie. making the zoodles, boiling the noodles and chopping up the garlic and ginger. When all that is done you only need 5-7 more minutes before your Peanut Hoisin Zoodle Chicken is on the table. This means that the total time you will need to make this recipe is less than 45 minutes, which is not bad for a dish involving a marinade and made from scratch. Don’t you think?
If you are looking for more Easy Weeknight Dinner ideas you’ll find some < HERE >.
If you enjoy Spirilizing check out < THESE > recipe ideas:)
I am bringing this dish to #CookBlogShare, hosted this week by Jacqui@Recipes Made Easy. I am also sharing it with Tasty Tuesdays, Fiesta Friday, co-hosted by Judi @ cookingwithauntjuju.com and Sadhna @ Herbs, Spices and Tradition.
Yields 4 portions
35 minPrep Time
6 minCook Time
41 minTotal Time
- 2 chicken breasts (approx. 400g), skinless, cut into thin strips (approx.1cm)
- 2 medium zucchinis (courgettes), spiralized
- 2 wholewheat noodle nests
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes (or less if you want less heat)
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- For the marinade:
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1.5 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons oil (olive or vegetable), plus 3 more for frying
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek powder
- 1/3 teaspoon (less than half) each onion granules, ginger powder, garlic powder
- For serving: 2 finely chopped spring onions, zest of 1 lime and a good drizzle of the juice
- Combine all the marinade ingredients, add the chicken strips and stir thoroughly. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime cook the noodles according to packet instructions (in salted water with the bay leaf). Drain, reserving some of the water (4-5 tablespoons). Set aside.
- Spiralize the zucchini. Set aside.
- In a large wok or frying pan heat up 3 tablespoons of oil, add the fresh ginger, garlic and chilli flakes, stir and fry for 30 seconds over a medium heat. Add the chicken (including any remaining marinade), stir and fry for about 3-4 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the soy sauce, noodles, zoodles and a little water (from cooking the noodles), about 4-5 tablespoons. Stir thoroughly until all the ingredients have been heated through and coated in the sauce.
- Remove from the heat, sprinkle the spring onions and lime zest over the top, give a good drizzle of the lime juice and serve.