This savoury persimmon appetizer makes a delicious party food idea or light, vegan snack.
This easy persimmon bruschetta recipe is based on the popular classic Italian starter dish. Typically it uses olive oil, garlic and tomatoes served on thick grilled slices of baguette. This bruschetta recipe has a twist – instead of tomatoes I used persimmons.
To make this snack start by combining the chopped persimmon with the lemon juice, oil and basil. Then toast the baguette slices, rub with garlic and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Then simply place a generous amount of the persimmon mixture on top, scatter pine nuts and enjoy!
Persimmon is a fruit which originates in Japan and China but is now grown in many other places and you can buy it here in the UK (quite cheaply) around this time of year. It actually looks like a tomato, except is orange and hasn’t got the acidity and juiciness of the tomato. It’s sweet and delicious and until now I only enjoyed it as a snack. As it turns out, despite its sweet flavour, persimmon works really well in a savoury recipe too!
Persimmons are quite firm and will hold their shape even when finely chopped. They are also not as juicy as tomatoes, for example, so won’t make the bread soggy . They are really so easy to work with. They can be eaten whole as there are no seeds to deal with, the skin isn’t very tough so there is no need to peel the fruit. And they are fabulously nutritious too, full of beta carotene, vitamins and minerals. I recommend drizzling the bread with the balsamic vinegar rather than adding the vinegar into the persimmon mixture as it will cause the fruit to lose its vibrant orange/yellow colour and turn slightly brown.
If you like this recipe check out also my easy persimmon bread recipe.
More easy party food ideas
Easy Bruschetta Recipe with Persimmon
- 6-8 baguette slices cut at an angle
- 2 persimmons finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8-10 large basil leaves finely chopped
- Balsamic vinegar for drizzling on the bread
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pine nuts lightly toasted, for sprinkling on top
- Small piece of garlic
- Combine the chopped persimmons with the oil, lemon juice and basil, season, stir and set aside.
- Heat up a griddle pan and toast the baguette slices for about 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and rub one side with the garlic. Drizzle with a little balsamic vinegar. Top with the persimmon mixture and pine nuts and serve.
Pin Easy Bruschetta Recipe with Persimmon!
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am sharing this Easy Bruschetta Recipe with Persimmon with Saucy Saturdays.