This delicious vegan tofu curry with peas is a nutritious, simple weeknight dinner idea. It’s low in fat and super easy to make.
For me curry dishes are some of the quickest and simplest to make. (I am using a ‘loose’ definition of a curry, one that involves using a selection of typical curry spices with vegetables and/or meat of choice). And this vegan tofu curry with peas is no exception. You don’t have to use too many spices to make a great tasting curry dish. Just use as many as is needed to complement the other ingredients in your dish. Which is what I’ve done in this recipe. And it works.
Easy vegan curry
Using garam masala is an easy way of adding lots of flavour to a dish. It contains a great selection of aromatic spices, such as cinnamon, allspice, cardamom and several others. I combined it with a bit of turmeric and cumin (for a more intense curry flavour) and that’s all the spices you will need to make this easy curry recipe.
The sauce takes under 15 minutes to cook and you can prepare the tofu (see the Instructions below) during that time. This healthy curry is really a super quick and easy dish, perfect to make on a weeknight.
This vegan curry recipe involves only a few quick steps. Once you’ve prepared the tofu, heat up the oil and gradually add the curry sauce ingredients. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Then remove from the heat, discard the bay leaf and puree the sauce. Lastly, add the coconut milk, petits pois (peas), cilantro and tofu. Heat up quickly again and serve!
Curry recipe with petits pois
Petits pois are small peas which are very sweet and tender. That’s why they are perfect in this tangy tomato based sauce. I recommend adding the frozen petits pois (along with the tofu and coriander) to the sauce after it has been cooked. They don’t require boiling, only heating up. They will thaw and warm through quickly inside the hot curry. That way they will retain their sweet flavour.
Alternatively you can use garden peas, though they are not as sweet as petits pois.
If you are a fan of petits pois try these easy Leek and Potato Dumpling Stew.
More easy curry recipes
You may also like this Lightly Curried Vegan Beluga Lentils with Vegetables recipe. This Quick Vegetarian Curry Recipe with Paneer is another easy vegetarian meal idea. For a non-vegetarian meal idea try this Butternut Squash Coconut Curry with Chicken and Apple.
Vegan Tofu Curry with Peas
- 300 g tofu
- 1 cup frozen petits pois or garden peas
- 400 g can tomatoes, small can
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 5 cm piece ginger peeled, finely chopped (you should have 2-3 tablespoons of it)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt plus plenty of pepper
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon each cumin powder and turmeric
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, coriander, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- Start by preparing the tofu. Drain it well, wrap in paper towel and squeeze gently to remove any excess water (you may have to use several paper towel sheets). Cube the tofu and season to taste. Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil and fry the tofu for a couple of minutes over a medium heat, carefully turning with a spatula, until it's lightly browned. Set aside.
- Heat up 3 tablespoons of oil, add the bay leaf, garlic, ginger and onion and fry on a medium heat for a minute stirring often. Add the garam masala, cumin and turmeric and continue frying for another minute or so stirring often.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat, discard the bay leaf and puree the sauce. Add the coconut milk (reheat the sauce if you have to at this point then take off the heat), cilantro, tofu and petits pois. Adjust the seasoning if necessary and serve!
Pin Vegan Tofu Curry with Peas