This nutritious Zesty Quinoa Salad with Pomelo is a deliciously satisfying refreshing dish. Perfect as a light vegetarian meal or served alongside chicken or seafood dishes.
Pomelo season is still in full swing and today I am sharing Zesty Quinoa Salad with Pomelo. This simple dish tastes delicious served with a drizzle of aromatic cilantro sauce.
The demand for pomelos outside of Asia has been steadily growing in the last few years, which is fantastic news! It means that this delicious fruit will linger in our supermarkets longer and in larger quantities than in the past (I’ve actually noticed there is much more of it available in the shops this year than there was last year).
If you haven’t tried this fruit yet I wholeheartedly recommend that you do! Pomelo is a cross between an orange and a grapefruit (literally), so is a little less sweet than an orange, but not acidic or bitter like a grapefruit, with pleasant subtle honey notes (‘honey’ pomelos are the most common imported variety). The best way to tell which fruit will be juicy and delicious is by comparing their weight. The heavier the fruit the juicier it will be, so go for the heaviest pomelo you can find!
How to peel a pomelo
Because of their large size pomelos should be peeled a little differently than other citrus fruit. I’ve included a photo of how I like to peel my pomelos in the gallery below.
How to make Asian inspired cilantro sauce
This cilantro sauce is really simple to make. All you need to do is roughly chop the ginger, garlic and chilli, combine with the rest of the sauce ingredients and blitz for a minute or so (or even less, depending on your blender). Then simply pour over the salad and enjoy!
More pomelo recipes
Zesty Quinoa Salad with Pomelo
- 6 pomelo segments about ½ pomelo, peeled, crumbled
- 150 g cooked quinoa
- 1 x400 g tin chickpeas drained, rinsed
- 1 ripe avocado deseeded, cubed
- 1 shallot (optional) finely chopped
For the cilantro sauce
- 30 g cilantro, coriander
- 70 g good quality vegetable oil neutral flavour, such as sunflower
- 2.5 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ green chilli mild variety, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove chopped
- 10 g fresh ginger peeled, chopped
- 1.5 tablespoons honey/maple or agave syrup, add more if you like
- 1 tablespoon tamarind sauce
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Place all of the sauce ingredients in a blender and puree until the mixture is smooth. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine the quinoa, pomelo, chickpeas, shallots (if using) and avocado, pour over some of the sauce (leaving a little bit to pour over individual portions or to save for later), season to taste, stir well and serve.
- Any leftover sauce should be kept in an air tight container in the fridge and used within 2 days.
Pin Zesty Quinoa Salad with Pomelo!
MORE EASY SALAD RECIPES
Check out my collection of easy, healthy and delicious salad recipes!
KEEP IN TOUCH!
I am linking this recipe up with the January challenge of Recipe ReDux. This month’s roundup is all about our favourite kitchen gadgets. Mine is a small chopper, which comes as part of a ‘3 in 1’ blender trio, very handy, compact and simple to use (see the photo gallery above). It chops nuts, fresh and dried fruit, and is ideal for making dips and sauces. Such as my cilantro sauce I made for this salad recipe.