This vegan Pumpkin Pasta Recipe with Arugula and Garlic is a delicious seasonal recipe that’s easy to prepare, healthy and ready in about 20 minutes!
PUMPKIN PASTA RECIPE WITH ARUGULA AND GARLIC
This Pumpkin Pasta Recipe with Arugula and Garlic is a simple seasonal recipe that’s easy to prepare, healthy, delicious and ready in about 20 minutes. This includes peeling the pumpkin and cooking the pasta! What I also love about this dish is its lovely yellow orangey colour. A little bowl of sunshine to cheer you up on a grey wet autumn day, which we have so many of! Pumpkin is my happy food at this time of year:)
There are many ways of preparing pumpkin depending on the dish and the amount of time you want to spend making it. In my last post (Dairy Free Pumpkin Brownies) I slow roasted the pumpkin in order to bring maximum flavour out of this bland vegetable as well as remove excess water. For this vegan pumpkin recipe I peeled, cubed (the smaller the pieces the quicker they’ll cook) and then briefly fried the pumpkin with some seasoning in a bit of oil. Cook the pumpkin until it’s tender (shouldn’t take longer than 10 minutes) but not mushy, with the pieces still visible.
Pasta with arugula and garlic
In this pumpkin pasta recipe I used plenty of garlic, lightly fried, as well as a fair amount of arugula (also called rucola or rocket leaves). Arugula has a peppery nutty flavour, perfect with both the pumpkin as well as the garlic. Fry the arugula quickly (for about 30 seconds) in the oil used to fry the garlic in to get a deeper, more intense garlic flavour throughout the dish. (Don’t worry, it won’t be too garlicky).
If you like this pumpkin pasta recipe with arugula you might also like this Pasta with Butternut Squash and Arugula.
I enjoyed this pumpkin pasta recipe with a bit of parmesan cheese but you can omit this step if you want this dish to be vegan. Do use plenty of freshly ground pepper though (not forgetting the salt), scatter over a handful of lightly toasted pine nuts and enjoy!
If you like this recipe you may also like these other easy vegetarian pasta recipes:
Pumpkin Pasta Recipe with Arugula and Garlic
- 300 g uncooked fusilli pasta penne or farfalle will be fine too
- 600 g pumpkin skinless, diced
- 1 garlic bulb 10-12 cloves, thinly sliced
- 100 g rucola arugula/rocket
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon onion granules
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 5-6 tablespoons water from cooking the pasta
- Lightly toasted pine nuts and grated parmesan optional for serving
- Boil the pasta al dente with the bay leaf in salted water. Strain the pasta, reserving some of the water from cooking. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan (with a lid) heat up 2 tablespoons of the oil, add the pumpkin, season to taste and add the onion granules, stir and fry over a medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover, lower the heat a little and cook until tender (about 10 minutes, ±3 minutes, depending on the size of your pumpkin pieces). Remove from the heat, mash up a little with a fork, add 5-6 tablespoons of the water reserved from cooking the pasta, stir and set aside (put the lid back on).
- In another frying pan heat up the remaining oil, add the garlic and fry over a medium heat until the garlic starts to brown a little (don't let it brown too much as it will be bitter), stirring all the time. Lift the garlic out of the pan with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl. Add the arugula into the same pan, season and fry for approx. 30 seconds, stirring all the time.
- Add the arugula into the pumpkin mixture , stir, combine with the pasta, adjust the seasoning, scatter over the garlic, pine nuts and parmesan (if using) and serve.
Pin this Pumpkin Pasta Recipe with Arugula and Garlic!
MORE EASY, HEALTHY MEAL IDEAS
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing this Pumpkin Pasta Recipe with Arugula and Garlic to Recipe of the Week, Tasty Tuesdays, #CookBlogShare, hosted this week by Hijacked By Twins, Fiesta Friday, co-hosted this week by Petra @ Food Eat Love and Vanitha @ Curry and Vanilla.