This Pumpkin Garlic Pasta with Arugula (Rucola/Rocket Leaves) is a simple seasonal recipe that’s easy to prepare, light, healthy and ready in about 20 minutes – including peeling the pumpkin and cooking the pasta! What I also love about this dish is its lovely yellow orangey colour – a little bowl of sunshine to cheer you up on a gray wet autumn day, which we have so many of! Pumpkin is my happy food at this time of year:)
There are many ways of preparing pumpkin depending on the dish and the amount of time you want to spend making it. In my last post (Dairy Free Pumpkin Brownies) I slow roasted the pumpkin in order to bring maximum flavour out of this bland vegetable as well as remove excess water. In this recipe the pumpkin is peeled, cubed (the smaller the pieces the quicker they’ll cook) and briefly fried with some seasoning in a bit of oil. Cook the pumpkin until it’s tender (shouldn’t take longer than 10 minutes) but not mushy, with the pieces still visible.
In this recipe I used plenty of garlic, lightly fried, as well as a fair amount of arugula (also called rucola or rocket leaves), which has a peppery nutty flavour, perfect with both the pumpkin and the garlic. Fry the arugula quickly (for about 30 seconds) in the oil used to fry the garlic in to get a deeper, more intense garlic flavour throughout the dish (don’t worry, it won’t be too garlicky).
I enjoyed this dish with a bit of parmesan cheese sprinkled on top but you can omit this step if you want this dish to be vegan. Do use plenty of freshly ground pepper (not forgetting the salt), scatter a handful of lightly toasted pine nuts over the whole thing and enjoy!
I am bringing this Pumpkin Garlic Pasta with Arugula (Rucola/Rocket Leaves) to Recipe of the Week, Tasty Tuesdays, #CookBlogShare, hosted this week by Hijacked By Twins, Fiesta Friday, co-hosted this week by Petra @ Food Eat Love and Vanitha @ Curry and Vanilla
Yields 3-4 portions
7 minPrep Time
13 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 300g uncooked fusilli pasta (penne or farfalle will be fine too)
- 600g pumpkin, skinless, diced
- 1 garlic bulb (10-12 cloves), thinly sliced
- 100g rucola (arugula/rocket)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon onion granules
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 5-6 tablespoons water from cooking the pasta
- Lightly toasted pine nuts and grated parmesan (optional) for serving
- Boil the pasta al dente with the bay leaf in salted water. Strain the pasta, reserving some of the water from cooking. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan (with a lid) heat up 2 tablespoons of the oil, add the pumpkin, season to taste and add the onion granules, stir and fry over a medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover, lower the heat a little and cook until tender (about 10 minutes, ±3 minutes, depending on the size of your pumpkin pieces). Remove from the heat, mash up a little with a fork, add 5-6 tablespoons of the water reserved from cooking the pasta, stir and set aside (put the lid back on).
- In another frying pan heat up the remaining oil, add the garlic and fry over a medium heat until the garlic starts to brown a little (don't let it brown too much as it will be bitter), stirring all the time. Lift the garlic out of the pan with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl. Add the arugula into the same pan, season and fry for approx. 30 seconds, stirring all the time.
- Add the arugula into the pumpkin mixture , stir, combine with the pasta, adjust the seasoning, scatter over the garlic, pine nuts and parmesan (if using) and serve.
Pin It For Later