This low carb Easy Pumpkin Cake Recipe with Ricotta is a quick and delicious healthy dessert, perfect at Halloween and throughout the pumpkin season.
PUMPKIN RICOTTA CAKE RECIPE
Towards the end of October we are usually busy carving pumpkins but this year my eldest son, who is the most enthusiastic pumpkin carver in the family, is away in China. So I’ve been cooking and baking with pumpkin instead, and coming up with lots of new culinary ways to enjoy this wonderful vegetable.
One of them is this Easy Pumpkin Cake Recipe with Ricotta.
In my recent Dairy Free Pumpkin Brownies recipe I used pumpkin puree, which I made using slowly roasted pumpkin in order to get the most flavour and remove excess moisture from the pumpkin. In this easy pumpkin cake recipe I used raw pumpkin (as you would do when making carrot cake) and there is no need to get rid of excess moisture. Just finely grate the pumpkin and add into the cake batter (see Instructions below). This is a fuss free pumpkin coffee cake, very uncomplicated and quick to make.
You may also like this easy Pumpkin Cake with Dark Chocolate Drizzle. Pumpkin tastes amazing with a bit of dark chocolate!
HEALTHY PUMPKIN CAKE RECIPE WITH RICOTTA
I love pumpkin pie as well as cheesecake and this cake is inspired by both in a way. Traditional baked cheesecake, although admittedly delicious, is usually rich and heavy, full of cheese, sugar and eggs. In this healthy pumpkin cake recipe I used ricotta, which isn’t too rich but gives this cake a lovely moist texture, a little dense and spongy but still light. With the help of the grated pumpkin, of course, which is full of moisture.
Pumpkin spice recipes
I opted for the basic pumpkin spice flavour in this easy pumpkin cake recipe but you can play around with the spices and use your own combination. You could add a bit of nutmeg or cloves or use either cinnamon or ginger alone. Or you could just use mixed spice (about 2 teaspoons).
For me pumpkin spice is made for autumn and I use it generously in a variety of recipes at this time of year. I love it in desserts, such as in this Pumpkin Spice Skinny Cupcakes with Lemon Icing recipe. Or this delicious traditional autumn Baked Apples dessert. Pumpkin spice also works in bakes that aren’t necessarily dessert. Such as these delicious Healthy Chocolate Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies. These semi-sweet cookies make a tasty breakfast option as well as snack anytime.
I’ve also used pumpkin spice in savoury recipes. Such as this Turkey Shepherds Pie with Pumpkin and Spiralized Potato. This healthy, comforting shepherds pie with a twist is bursting with delicious autumn flavours!
Easy Pumpkin Cake Recipe with Ricotta
- 200 g pumpkin peeled, finely grated (no need to get rid of excess water)
- 200 g ricotta cheese
- 200 g flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 heaped teaspoon each cinnamon and ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice powder
- 2 eggs
- 140 g caster sugar
- 100 ml rapeseed oil olive or vegetable are fine too, plus a little for greasing the tin
- Zest of 1.5 oranges
- Icing sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 375F /190C /gas mark 5. Lightly grease a medium round cake tin and line with non-stick baking paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and spices and set aside.
- Beat the eggs, oil and sugar for about 2 minutes, gradually add the ricotta and continue beating until the mixture is smooth. Add the orange zest and grated pumpkin and stir to combine. Pour in the flour mixture and stir to combine (do not overstir).
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin, smooth out the top with a spatula or back of a spoon and bake for 50-55 minutes or until the skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, leave to cool for 15 minutes, remove from the tin to cool completely, peel off the paper, sprinkle with icing sugar and serve.
Pin this Easy Pumpkin Cake Recipe with Ricotta to make later!
MORE HEALTHY DESSERT RECIPES
Here you will find other easy, healthy and delicious healthy dessert recipe ideas all in one place!
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing this Easy Pumpkin Cake Recipe with Ricotta to #CookBlogShare, hosted this week by Jacqui@Recipes Made Easy. I am also sharing it with Baking Crumbs and Fiesta Friday, which I have the great pleasure of co-hosting this week along with Sandhya @ Indfused.