This Quick Vegetarian Christmas Stuffing is made using sage and onion, apple and a fair amount of quality vegetarian sausages, which add flavour, substance as well as healthy protein.
This Quick Vegetarian Christmas Stuffing is made using classic festive flavours, such as sage and cranberries. It does contain some bread, but the main ingredient in this stuffing recipe are vegetarian sausages. Good quality vegetarian sausages are delicious on their own but also make a great addition to stews, casseroles as well as stuffing. For this recipe I chose ones with lots of herbs in them. They add loads of flavour without the fat that sausage meat (the ‘meaty’ kind!) would usually contribute. So all the other ingredients are simply added to further enhance the flavour and give this stuffing more of a Christmassy character.
How to make quick and easy vegetarian stuffing
- Start by frying the onion in a bit of oil for 2-3 minutes, then add the cider, fruit, seasoning and continue cooking for 5 more minutes.
- Blitz the sausages, bread and the onion mixture briefly until the stuffing becomes sticky, but is still quite lumpy.
- Stir in the cheese and combine thoroughly.
- Transfer the stuffing into a small casserole dish, drizzle with oil and bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes.
See my Instructions below for more details
Making your own stuffing is very simple yet quite rewarding, as you can create lots of flavour combinations in an incredibly short time. This is true for both meat as well as vegetarian stuffing recipes. There is nothing to it and it only needs half an hour in the oven. In this recipe I used the tried and tested sage-and-onion combination because despite my strong experimental tendencies I do believe that some things are best left unchanged. Sage and onion stuffing just goes so well with the Christmas turkey!
Consistency and texture
If you are wondering about the texture of this Quick Vegetarian Christmas Stuffing, it’s quite ‘meaty‘, with lots of moisture in it (remember there is apple as well as apple cider in it), and a nice bit of crunch on top. I added a bit of cheese as it’s a great binding ingredient. It also adds extra flavour and, due to its high fat content, helps to keep this vegetarian stuffing moist.
As this is my final Christmas recipe I would like to wish everyone a happy, peaceful and delicious Christmas!
I’ll be back in a few days with a Christmas leftovers recipe (we are all bound to have some:)
What else to include in your vegetarian festive dinner
This easy vegetarian stuffing would go really well with my Quinoa Stuffed Butternut Squash with Fruit & Chestnuts. You could enjoy these with some classic low sugar cranberry sauce, or this cranberry beetroot chutney.
Your hot veg dishes might include roasted brussel sprouts with cranberries and chestnuts recipe or easy honey roasted carrots with miso. Why not also try this classic braised red cabbage with a twist!
More stuffing recipe ideas
Quick Vegetarian Christmas Stuffing
- 270 g vegetarian sausages chopped
- 50 g bread broken into small pieces
- 30 ml cider
- 1 medium apple
- 50 g dried cranberries
- 1 medium/large onion finely chopped
- 1 level teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon onion granules
- 40 g cheese mature cheddar or other strong cheese, coarsely grated
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 F/ 190 C/ gas mark 5. You will need a small oven dish (approx. 16x25cm).
- In a large frying pan heat up 2 tablespoons of the oil, add the onions and cook slowly for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add the cider, peeled and finely cubed apple, cranberries, sage, onion granules, a bit of salt and a good pinch of pepper, and continue simmering for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat and cool a little.
- Place the sausages, bread pieces, 2 tablespoons of the oil and the onion mixture in a blender and pulse briefly until the mixture starts coming together and becoming sticky but is still very lumpy (this should take about 15-20 seconds).
- Add the cheese to the stuffing mixture and stir to combine. Transfer the stuffing into your oven dish, drizzle with the remaining oil (about 2 tablespoons) and bake for 30 minutes. Serve alongside turkey or ham or as part of a vegetarian Christmas dinner.
Pin Quick Vegetarian Christmas Stuffing!
MORE EASY APPETIZERS/SNACKS
See my selection of easy, healthy, delicious Appetizers/Party Food ideas whatever the occasion. Christmas, Easter, birthdays, family celebrations – there’ll be something for everyone.